Anyone swimming?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I just wondered how many of you are swimming? I am lucky enough to have a pool on my complex and have now started to swim daily, I'm sure it;s helping my muscles get back into shape and I can exercise better in the water. The five minute walk to get there doesn;t hurt either (well it does a bit). The thing is that it seems to be helping me mentally as well. I feel ready for anything when I come out. Can certainly recommend it. Carol, 8 weeks tomorrow. Wow 8 weeks! 

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol I wish there was a pool near me ....the nearest pool is a 30 minute drive away ...so there's no chance of me going 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Jean you're going to have to get in that car soon or ask some kind person to give you a lift. It would really be worth it if you could go. I was given the go ahead to swim 3 weeks ago but have been too busy. That's my excuse anyway. Really I was rather scared. Now I shall be in there every day.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know I have to get in the car soon ...every day I promise myself I will then I change my mind ...I need to run out of bread or milk on a rainy day then I will go in the car instead of getting wet biggrin
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I certainly wasn't ready to drive at the six week stage when my consultant gave me the all clear.

I talked this over with my physio as I was worried that the longer I delayed I would loose my confidence.

She suggested that to start I just sat in my car (you will probably need to adjust the seat), then practice the clutch, if you have one, and generally get used to being in the driving seat.

By 8 weeks I was ready to drive, but made sure my husband came with me for the first couple of times.  

If, like me, you've been driving for years, then compare that to the nine weeks you haven't.  So, give it a go.  After a few days, I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you lynn

my car is an automatic  and if it had been my left knee that had a TKR then I wouldn't have been so worried,...it's my right knee  and it still feels alien to me 

and yes I've been driving for years 

I may try tomorrow....

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Please do.

My knee was left TKR so I thought my manual car would be a problem, but it really wasn't.  I think your automatic will be easier.  Driving my husband's automatic certainly is.

By the way, although I'm 20 weeks, my knee is still an alien.  Physio tells me it will feel like that for about a year.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I'm just over 7 weeks on a PKR just wondered how long you're swimming for and which stroke
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I find half an hour tops and I was told not to use breast stroke. So, I'm doing breast stroke with my arms but some kind of made up thing with my legs, I do back stroke every other lap. The worst part is actually going down the steps as I'm still very nervous about them. I keep expecting my knee to give way as it used to pre op.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm not a very strong swimmer but have been thinking of trying it. You've given me some inspiration so maybe I'll give it a try this week. I can understand about the steps. Think I'll be nervous walking on the wet floors too. Mind you, I think I must be getting stronger. I now find it quite fascinating that my knee feels really strong when I stand up. So different from what it was like before the op. Jen (16 weeks) 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi  Jennifer, you have given me a boost saying that your knee is strong now. I know that compared with even two weeks ago I am a lot better but when I stand after sitting for a while I still feel that it may let me down. I have another 8 weeks to reach your stage so I'm confident I'll get there. The slippy floor could be a problem but our floor has a lot of specialmats that form walkways. When I first went I used a stick as far as the pool but today I have ditched the stick and was nervous about slipping. However I was ok and it is so worth it. I don;t think you have to be a strong swimmer, once in the water it takes all the weight. It feels good.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had intended to start back at the gym/swimming this week, but on Friday I slipped down the stairs and over extended my knee bend so have been very sore since. I've been to Physio today and been told to rest it and do exercises that do not cause pain, so I'm not sure whether to give swimming a go or not. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up