Anyone taken citalopram before? Advice needed.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just been prescribed citalopram and just wanted to know whether it works and some experience you guys have had would be much appreciated.

1 like, 21 replies

Report / Delete

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi emily, in my experience with citalopram, it does work. It takes about 4 weeks to really feel the diference , but you will notice some improvement after about 2 weeks. Some people have side effects when they start taking it but some don't. My husband had none at all. The first time I took it, I had none. I recently started back on it and had a lot of them. Mostly GI like nausea, dizziness, feeling wiped out, and the anxiety actually got worse which is normal. Those lasted about 10 days. There night be a nervousness when you wake up in the morning. That one hangs on until about week 4. Mine is starting to go away just now. Like I said, you may not experience any of this. I hooe you don't. But if you do, just hang in there. This message board was a life saver for me so that I could be reassured that everything was normal and would get better. I know I will never go off of my med again. Was off for 8 months and all of the old depression and anxiety just slowly started to creep back in. Feel free to ask for help any time. I want to give back what I was given. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kathy, only been on it a few days and got the dry mouth symptoms can't sleep and feel spacey and waking up feeling anxious like you said. At the minute I feel like I am never gojng to feel normal again but it has only got to get better right ? When it kicks in does if really help ? I just worry about everything and it's getting to the stage where I don't want to go away or even go out. Thank you it's nice to know someone else is going through the same
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've had them but did nothing for me just dodgy side effects I've had around 20 different meds for it non of which worked which is when I found that the distractions helped which is why I always have my music and that's basically my life now I go nowhere without it but in my case it works I still have bad days but I've kinda learned to live with it now the only strange thing is I've never been a emotional person but since my anxiety started I get very emotional over all sorts of things which I thought was strange
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When I took it it made my anxiety a million times worse I'm afraid to say. Maybe it would have settled in time but I wasn't about to keep taking it after that. Everyone's different though
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes I think it's very personal and all depends on individuals bio - chemistry. I was slightly more jittery but nothing too bad. I started on 10mg and built up gradually to 20mg. I do wonder if us anxious people sometimes create symptoms where the meds are concerned ie expect to get them after reading the list of possible side effects! ☺
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Emily, i felt exactly the same way. I even told my daughter that I thought I would never feel like myself again. I felt like I had flu plus all of the nervousnes. I avoided going out as much as possible. When I was home I would pace around the house like an idiot or up and down the drive way. I just seemed to help. I was spacey too. Sometimes I would lay in the floor with my legs propped up the wall. For some reason that helped. Yes! You will feel better! One day at a time. Just keep moving forward. You may have an occasional set back, but tell youself it is just a bump in the road. Stay with this message board for support. I have been here a lot. Everyone here will hold your hand. Kathy
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Kathy that is so lovely to here. Feeling emotional as it is today hahaa. I have been on 20mg for 3 days now and feel

Really not myself today do you think it's worth halving the dose for a few days? I can't get in to speak to a doctor for a few weeks!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Tha was suggested to me too, but I made a decision to keep going. It might help and is a common thing to try. I was afraid it would drag the side effects out longer and delay the benefits so just stuck it out. But others have sone that and reported that it helped. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for you help Kathy, I may try half for a couple of days then back to full. I couldn't concentrate at work today haha felt like I was high! I just really hope these feelings go soon can't go on like this and only been a few days
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Typically, tomorrow won't be as bad as today, and the next day won't be as bad as tomorrow. Evryday will be a little better. I waa lucky. I did not have to work. I am retired.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm on day 14 and I have still symptoms of anxiety butch noticing gaps in the attacks so I'm hoping its tge citalopram starting to work 😀
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes! Those precious  gaps. That's the first sign that it is starting to work. Those will get longer but it is a slow process. I am onweek 4 and the anxiety is more managable,  but still always lerking in the back ground. I have to stay busy to keep my mind from starting that search process for smething wrong to go with the uncomfortable nervousness. My mind can take off to doomsday in a flash. I know that every day is going to be better. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

May I ask what mg are u on? I'm on 10mg and can honestly say the first week was the easiest my anxiety completely left me but the 2nd week I've been getting side affects which I can bear but my anxiety is always there!! I'm struggling with sore muscles in my back today to tge point it's sore to breath 😰 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kathy hope you are well. Just looking for some advice. Been on citalopram for 2 weeks now 2 weeks yesterday to be exact and the first week was really hard but last week I felt good happy and saw the light at the end of te tunnel! I woke up yesterday and just feel low and anxious again and do today. I have only been on them two weeks but is this normal ?
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up