Anyone talked to their work about ibs?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I'm in the middle of a really bad IBS flare at the moment. Over the last 5 weeks it's gone from cramping and loose stools to exteme cramps that cause me to be doubled over in pain every time I eat followed by urgent runs to the toilet for severe diarrhoea. I'm always in the loo within 30-45 mins of eating anything- even plain crackers or toast.

I'm pretty good at force feeding myself (hence why i never loose weight from my ibs) but it's getting to the point now where I don't want to eat because of the pain. I never skip meals but yesterday I hardly ate, then had eggs on toast for dinner and bam- straight through me.

I'm pretty lucky at work at the moment as I've been doing some office work so can run off to the loo with no problem, but that's stopping soon and I need to go back to treating patients and you're not allowed to just run off whenever you like! My only option appears to be don't eat all day, but I'm on my feet a lot and I have low blood pressure, so not eating greatly increases the risk of me passing out, which I don't want either.

I've never talked to anyone about my IBS but it crossed my mind to go to my manager but it's so embarrassing and most people don't understand. I've been told IBS is 'just a tummy ache ' before!

Has anyone talked to their work about their ibs?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm soooo sorry leenie.  I know the feeling well.  Yes, I talked to my co-workers after telling my boss that my stool test came back positive for Celiac Spru.  Maybe they didn't know what that was but they never gave me grief over running off or ordering different type food when we had staff luncheons. 

IBS has gotten a bad rep because lots of people think it's not real -- just an excuse.  Soooo frustrating.  Even my friends and family don't see to understand how awful it is.  Sigh.

Tell the truth, if you're gonna tell.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with Frazzled.  I told my work about my IBS issues cuz it effects your life style they don't understand .. companies just worry about making thier money and that's it.  It is hard I missed some days of work and got sent home cuz I kept going to restroom to try to pass a bowel movement.  They think I'm goofing off or whatever. Yes it is frustrating even showing from my doctor I have IBS and going to see a nutritionist but feels like it don't matter. I feel your pain and understand.  I'm also don't know what to do because how it effects your life style.     Hope it works out. Stay positive keep your head up.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I would take imodium before eating and take nurofen with buscopan.  I wouldn't worry about discussing your IBS with your manager.  As a nurse you should be able to get understanding about your IBS since you are around medics.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Talked to one company and did not go down well and in the end I was managed out.  Where I am now I was out and proud from day 1 and 15 months later still here and I have had days when I have not been able to get in and they have been understanding but a smaller company rather than a 30 mil turnover company which is more reliant on people being in so I think it depends on the company. I also have ASD and I was not overly out about that either but now I get it all out in the open and if they do not like it well they can get rid of me as I get it out prior to the 3 month review so I gave employers ample opportunity to judge whether it will be an issue or not. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up