Anyone tapered off MIrtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've not been on it for long but am tapering off - I've also been put on Escitalopram and intend to remain on that for my underlying anxiety issues. I need to come off the Mirt though as I am not happy with the weight gain already, in only a month - it's not something I'll be happy to stay on long term. I haven't been taking it for very long at all - less than a month - so I am hoping the withdrawal will be minimal. I have to be very careful though as my initial problems stem from severe insomnia, so I need to avoid rebound insomnia at all costs!

I've managed to taper without problems from 30mg to 22mg to 15mg to 10mg over 3 weeks and have now been on 7.5mg for the last 3 nights. Since being on 7.5mg I feel pretty rough - I'm sleeping ok (despite the nightmares, but they don't really bother me) but still feel really tired the next day, plus I am SUPER irritable and grumpy (like the worst PMS you can imagine... no one come near me!!) and I have terrible muscle aches all up my legs, it hurts even to walk up the stairs. I know now that Mirt is more sedating at lower doses so I'm not surprised on the sleepiness, but are the rest of the symptoms / side effects I've listed also increased at lower doses? Not sure why I would have not experienced them at 15 / 10mg but am now. I wondered if anyone has successfully tapered off and had any experience of it to share? None of it is unbearable, it's just all pretty yucky and considering I intend to taper really slowly off the last amount, I'm wondering if these side effects will remain for the whole time... xx

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i have been going down from 15mgs was down to 10and it was fine too. LAST NIGHT WENT DOWN TO 7.5 and woke up twice during the night with bad anxiety

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.