Anyone thats takes or knows about diazepam can i have some advice??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there im being weaned off diazepam and am now down to 2mgs a day 1mg morning 1mg early evening. With christmas on our doorstep i would love to have a drink or 2 as i havent had a drink for 18 months and didnt get to have a drink last christmas as i was on mirtazapine and 6mgs diazepam a day as my health anxiety and panic attacks had just started. Now i know you are not allowed to drink on diazepam as they interact like i said ive been on it since last december but am now down to 2 mgs a day like i said.

My question is if i wanted to have a few drinks on christmas day how many days before chriatmas day would i have to stop taking the diazepam so it was out of my system so there was no interaction? I cant ask my dr.s as they are now closed till the 4th january (Yup crazy) and my chemist is useless and wont give advice and always tells me to as my dr. . If anyone knows anything please help :-)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was on diazepam a few months ago and started drinking a few days later and I was absolutely fine. Had a bit of a hangover the next morning but a mc Donald's breakfast sorted that. So leave it a few days then get drunk and forget you were ever on them or you will let your mind believe you will get side effects.
  • Posted

I take it but daily so never drink, however another family member takes it on an 'as and when' basis and will have a drink about 72 hours after the last dose then wont take another until 24 hours after her last drink, she has always been fine.

Diazepam is long acting but you are on a really low dose, it's a shame your chemist is so unhelpful, you could try googling your local tesco one, they are usually great with things like this if you give them a call,

• Posted

Thank u for your replies im determind to have a good christmas and have a few drinks this year has been terrible so its well needed lol . I rang boots the chemist and they told me 2mgs is a very small dose anyway but as a precaution leave it 24 hours before the last dose and having a drink , i will ring tescos and proberly another chemist just to see if the advice is the same tho lol. I do take it everyday so it will habe built up bit it is a tiny dose compared to what some people are taking . x
    • Posted

That's good, Boots are excellent with that sort of thing so if they say 24 hours I would definitely trust that, 2mg is very low all things considered, my relative who waits 72 hours takes about 6-8mg per day so yes yours is a tiny dose, enjoy your Christmas smile x
  • Posted

I take Diazepan with alcohol for years and am fine. think it depends on the person, the dose, your tolerance etc. Each person is different
  • Posted

Hi Stacey

I take 5mg of diazepam as required which is about every other day.  I also drink regularly above the recomended daily limits but not by too much, and have had no problems at all apart from improved sleep!  I'm not commending this course of action to anyone else as it clearly states on my diazepam box, avoid alchohol, just works for me OK.  

Lizzie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.