Anyone try desvenlafaxine(the generic for Pristiq)?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Symbyax with additional prozac for over 10 months, but still have lows and some anxiety. I also gained thirty pounds. Therefore, I just switched to Pristiq. Does anyone have experience with this drug?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do! i have been on Pristiq for almost 2 yrs now. i was on Effexor (venlafaxine) before that, and honestly, saw much better results from Effexor than Pristiq. the switch was only due to the dreaded "poop out" of antidepressants.

Anxiety-wise, my panic attacks were more under control when i was on Effexor but i am not sure how much of that has been circumstantial. Pristiq has been so-so for my anxiety, and i have still had to take my klonipin as needed.

As far as weight goes, i actually lost a bit of weight after starting Effexor and had a much easier time managing my weight than previously. I did not experience any immediate or drastic weight gain after starting Pristiq but i haven't had the same "oomph" for weight loss/management.

hope any of this helps, sending good thoughts your way ❤

• Posted

morgann22,

Do you remember what side effects you got from Pristiq and how long they lasted?

Ebeth

• Posted

Ebeth

Some medications do assist in weight gain. You will also possibly find if you are anxious or depressed we can comfort eat, or our diets can be affected by medications. An increase in weight is not unusual.

With my condition I have been on various medications for thirty years and now at sixty nine, they are starting to take medications of me, so hopefully I will loose weight and not be Obese.

In my case I am beginning to make some decisions, and listen to my GP. You have health problems that need treatment. We make decisions and have our own decisions to make as we get well, medications have possibly helped over a long time, they are like relationships where the need to move on comes to mind.

We have a destination we need to arrive at where we begin to get well. You have your needs and sometimes we have to accept things we would prefer not to, to become well

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.