Anyone with other health conditions had knee replacement ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

If so, how did you cope?

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

One day at a time, one step at a time. Understand it is a journey. You have crossed one thing off your list that will make you stronger.

Listen to your inner voice, you will improve someting in your life because of this surgery. You made a decision to better your health. I have to tell myself this every day.

Take care and bless you.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Cynthia, 

Yes I had both knees done, at separate times and have been disabled due to degenerative disc disease, for years and now spinal arthritis.

I coped because I realised I had to work with it. My knee pain and mobility were so severe beforehand, that anything was an improvement.

I basically wrote off a couple of months, and only did what I had to, plus excercise.

I planned it both times so that I had it done in the spring/ summer, and basically lived in my conservatory, gave me access to the garden, kept doing short walks, and was next to the kitchen for food, and freezer for ice packs.

I knew I wouldn't be able to do much, so all shopping done online, housework had to wait.

I was worried that using walking sticks would make my back worse but didn't need to use in the house after first week, only in garden, when I started off doing a couple of laps, and built up to twenty laps three times a day, this gave me the confidence to go for walks up the road where I live, it's only a small garden, but it worked for me.

I still have the spinal problems plus others, but I am so glad I went ahead with the knee replacements.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, currently waiting on THR next, and eventully back to the Neurosurgeon;s for Spinal instability and DDD.

I just get on with it, no point feeling sorry for myself, others are far worse off with terminal illness etc.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Cynthia

Yep, I had Thyroid Cancer & was diagnosed with Diverticular disease 6 months before going on the list.

As someone else said take each day as it comes.

Although getting the nursing staff to understand the importance of having my regular thyroxine at the correct time was a 'mare! It was a bit hit & miss I'm afraid! They even pinched one of my 100 mcg thyroxine for another patient who hadn't brought theirs in!!

You survive because the alternative is absolute disability! I do not want to be sitting in a wheelchair the rest of my life! I consider myself to be young enough at 63 to enjoy my life!!

Good luck to you & don't worry too much. If you're in the States I'm sure you won't have to deal with understaffed wards.

Marilyn

XX

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up