Apple cider vinegar always safe for GERD? Inflamed esophagus?

Posted , 9 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi everyone, I've had enough of acid reflux, I will move the sky in my efforts to be rid of it for good, but I feel very alone in this. I've been on Omeprazole, Lanzoprazole, and Ranitidine, none of which helped in the least, Omep and Lanzo might have even made it worse. I've had tests done, and all looks good, except for "a small amount of acid" found (it feels like a tornado of acid a lot of the time). I'm getting a manometry at some point to see if the LES is open, but we're finding it very hard to arrange hospital transport to London. So in the meantime I'm becoming more distressed, and I suffer from health anxiety, too. I've been doing a lot of research, particularly on the low stomach acid theory... I see a lot of people felt they were cured by apple cider vinegar, so I'm thinking about giving it a go, but I'm terrified of it possibly burning my esophagus. I have thoughts about how my esophagus could have become irritated and inflamed since my last test, so I keep imagining a disastrous reaction to apple cider vinegar, should I try it. (And I'm desperate.) Does anyone know if ACV is dangerous in the case of inflamed or irritated/damaged esophagus? Or if it could even cause it? 

I've read so much about acid reflux being more commonly caused by not enough acid, rather than too much, that I really want to experiment. I've got Betain HCL in consideration, too. But my doctor does not believe in "not enough acid." I feel utterly alone and trying to work things out by myself sad and I do not want to try anything without my doctor's knowledge first, though he'll likely shout it down. 

Thank you. 

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pixie, I have been suffering from Acid  Reflux since the end of June.

I'll be 84yrs old next month and I didn't know what hit me!

I had to take a glass to bed with me as I was having to spit several times during the night, I also had to stay upright to sleep...I was exhausted.

Then three days ago I remember my mother use to use Slippery Elm! I got mine in the Holland & Barrett health shop. I made a gruel or porridge.

It puts a lining on the inflamed Oesophagus. I don't know if it's a coincidence but at last, I could eat...I lost a stone in weight and the doctor prescribed me the vitamin and mineral shakes I went out today on my own today for the first time since the start of July.

I'm going to keep having this as a porridge. 

You have to try this!! regards Mayxx 

• Posted

It tastes quite bland, but I like it now!

I felt an improvement after 3 days and now 6 days later I'm enjoying eating again. I couldn't eat for approx 4 weeks and lost just under a stone in weight! Dr was concerned with the weight loss, he gave me vitamin and mineral shakes.I've put on 3 pounds now and feeling good!

The Slippery Elm might be a coincidence, but I think it's worth a try as it will coat the oesophagus. 

• Posted

In a microwave (650 watts)I first started with just a mug. I heaped teaspoon of Slippery Elm food into a mug. Add enough milk to make a smooth paste. Fill mug almost to the top with milk, and heat for one and a half minutes, or almost to boiling point. You can sweeten to taste...I don't add any sweetener!

My microwave is 900 watts, I have a choice of wattage on my appliance. I start with the lower wattage, then gradually heat until it thickens!

Just like making custard with the custard powder!

I make a bigger helping at the start of the day! last thing at night I use a mug! You can add more or less powder! 

• Posted

Thank you, I've done some searching on slippery elm and I've got it under consideration. I've saved one that is slippery elm 'bark powder.' Can I just mix it with water? I'm a stone underweight, so I'm currently drinking Complan for some extra calories and vitamins, but I mix it with water instead of milk, as I'm not sure my stomach likes milk! Although, Complan is made from skimmed milk... Sigh. So I'm concerned about that. It's very hard for me to put on weight, and it seems completely impossible on the "Gerd diet" - I see people cutting out all sorts, pretty much everything. And all those things are what the doctors tell me I must eat, as I'm potentially at a dangerous weight. I did read that slippery elm is good for underweight people as it "normalizes weight," so that's encouraging too. 

• Posted

Hi, Pixie.  The slippery elm doesn't mention water...you could try soya milk! 

I've been good for almost a week now yet the dr who did the endoscopy said it would probably take months to calm down! I still take the slippery elm for breakfast and bedtime! You should try it! x

• Posted

Have you tried sticking to a really low acid diet? There is a good book called dropping acid which has a list of things to eat for 2 weeks to help restore some normallity to your stomach. I'm on week 4 now and seeing some good results this week but it did take a while to settle.Depends on how bad the acid is i guess but it does work. Mine is silent reflux (suspected) so i can't`feel it most of the time anyway, i just can't breathe properly but i had to come off of my PPI tablets last week ready for my gascoscopy and i haven't felt any acid at all since i did. Given that you are supposed to come off tablets gradually otherwise it comes back and i didn't, the diet must be working.

• Posted

Thank you, I think I eat a diet low in acid, I always go for the "alkaline" or the recommened foods, and avoid the "trigger" foods. The only thing I used to eat that seemed to worsen my reflux was jam. I cut that out, so now my diet is pretty low in acid (I think...). I'm glad you've found relief with it, we're all different I think, gerd is very complicated from what I've read! My gerd was triggered after emotional distress that put me in hospital, so I think there's something wrong down there, avoiding certain foods doesn't make a huge difference. Jam just made it rage more. Hmm. One day gerd will be understood...! 

• Posted

Have you tried sticking to a really low acid diet? There is a good book which i will message you the name of which has a list of things to eat for 2 weeks to help restore some normallity to your stomach. I'm on week 4 now and seeing some good results this week but it did take a while to settle. Depends on how bad the acid is i guess but it does work. Mine is silent reflux (suspected) so i can't`feel it most of the time anyway, i just can't breathe properly but i had to come off of my PPI tablets last week ready for my gascoscopy and i haven't felt any acid at all since i did. Given that you are supposed to come off tablets gradually otherwise it comes back and i didn't, the diet must be working.

• Posted

I have it on salad it won't burn your throat but if you take it neat it could be a problem. I was taking spoons of it but it closed my throat up one time fortunately I could still breath through my nose but it was quite worrying. Have you tried removing all sugary food from your diet thus helps me, also taking vitamin d and cod liver oil helps me with the inflammation it causes. Hope this might help

• Posted

Thank you, I've read a few horror stories about apple cider vinegar making people unable to breathe or doubled up in pain, and even taken to A&E. I wonder if they diluted it or not? I wonder if perhaps they did suffer from "too much acid" and maybe then the ACV threw it over the edge. It sounds like a very risky way to test your acid levels. I'm very interested in the low-acid theory as PPIs either didn't touch it or made it worse. 

I was taking vitamin D but it didn't have any effect on digestion, I'll put cod liver oil as a consideration (I'm getting quite a list). I don't think I eat too much sugar, but it's very hard to eliminate certain things, as I'm a stone underweight, and the gerd-diet and the weight-gain diet are contradictory. They want me to eat wholemeal bread, weetabix with whole milk, digestive biscuits including the chocolate ones, fruit corner yogurts and orange juice. Everything there gives me a very unhappy gut and has me incapacitated. It's hard. I will closely inspect the sugar content of what I eat, though. I feel like I'm doing three diets at once, gerd-diet, ibs-diet, and weight-gain diet... Which is impossible. sad 

• Posted

I also lost weight as I too

suspect milk and I cut

out wheat flour products.

The NHS says avoid fatty

Food but although fatty

food causes me short

term reflux, sugar and

especially chocolate

causes problems for days

So I eat fat I eat lots of

complex carbohydrate,

such pasta, potato,

sweet potato, carrots

and I've started eating a

lot more vegetables

generally.

This isn't a complete

cure but it as reduced

my symptoms to the

point where I am quite

well when combined with the

vitamin d and cod liver oil.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up