Appointment for preop assessment is late. Freaking out a bit

Posted , 4 users are following.

My hysterectomy was scheduled for next Monday, and I was told I would be getting a notice in the mail for my preop appt 7 to 10 days before.

The post just came and there was nothing in it.

I have the contact number for the nurses' station and I have  been ringing it and left a message, but no one picks up.

I'm kind of worried because I got a call a couple of weeks ago asking if I could reschedule my surgery to the Friday before, because they had too many hysterectomy patients and I said I couldn't because my husband, who would be taking me to and from hospital, had a job that day, so they said they would try to get someone else to move. So now I am wondering if I am even going to have my operation or if my appt letter has been lost in the post..

Also, I have only ever been to York hospital and my surgery and pre-assessment are at Leeds St James. I have never dealt with Leeds St James and don't know what their admin is like, including their sending letters capability.

I am also having a problem with the wiring in my house and need to know when I can be home to let the electrician in and would like to be able to know what day I will have to take off working this week to go to my appt (I work at home), since it's my last week before my operation.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, it's working out so far. Had my assessment today (arranged by phone; no time to get a letter.) I also got the surgery appointment letter today.  I'm kind of worried because it says to call before leaving for hospital to check if beds are available. Hope after all this it doesn't get cancelled due to no beds.
    • Posted

Glad you have date now at least you can plan around that I have heard of people having to wait a few days extra before op due to shortage of beds. My hospital have not ask me to phone them on Friday I'm just to term up at 8am. 

I had my final blood test this morning in case I need a blood tranfusion will keep everyone informed and post Tom. When's your date Hun? Xxx

• Posted

Hi Astropuppy

Great you have had your assessment.  I know it is nerve racking ringing up on the morning before you go in, I was more nervous about making sure the bed was available than the op.  I will keep everything crossed for you.

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Hi Astropuppy

Good luck for tomorrow.  Hope you are first down, much less nerve racking.  You will soon be joining us advising all the ones waiting for their ops.  I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Let me know how you get on.  

Try and get a good night's sleep.  You wil be fine.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline. Now I have been told I won't know if there will be a bed available until I show up for my 7:30 appointment. My husband and I are leaving today to stay overnight at the patient hotel at St James Leeds Bexley Ward. I hope it's not a wasted trip.This is so nerve wracking!
    • Posted

Hi Astropuppy

Oh gosh, that is really nerve racking, it must be extremely difficult when you have to travel quite a distance, you have no choice but to stay over somewhere, I will keep everything crossed for you that the bed is ready, 9 times out of 10 it is so don't fret too much.  

Good luck, and see you 'on the other side' as they say.  

Love

Jacqui 

• Posted

Good luck for Tom you will be fine will be thinking of you I'm feeling a bit better today 4 days post op feeling stronger each day. Please keep on top of the bowels went to loo first time last night very painful. Try not to be to nervous it's not as bad as you think. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.