Appointment with the Adult Mental Health Team

Posted , 4 users are following.

So today I have my assessment appointment at my local mental health hospital. Very anxious! Dizzy, nausea, diarrehea, cold tingly hands and feet.... 

My doctor referred me because I've been self-harming, been feeling suicidal, and he just overall didn't understand why I've been so anxious, which has been progressively getting worse, for so long. Been feeling guilty and depressed because I'm in this state and I feel like no-one can help!

I've had 3 stints of CBT, 2 counselling and 1 gestalt. Been on Propranolol, Citalopram, Prochlorperazine, Sertraline and Diazepram. Diazepram has been the only one to really work, but then again it's only for short term fixes when I have an anxious breakdown. 

So yeah, I'm really scared. I don't want to lie to them, but at the same time I don't want to tell them the truth and get admitted or something. I'm only 20 and I start back at uni in a few weeks. Has anyone ever had a psychiatric assessment? What was it like? What happened next?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

First dont worry they are there to help just reach out and take it if you are determined to get over and past this then this is the next step for you being honest and truthful to them is also being honest to yourself so keep believing that you can do it and good luck take care
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey Amy,

How did it go?

What did they do?

I have a review with a psyciatrist soon so kinda know how you feel.

Hope you are getting well, and they are helping you get the treatment you need.

Ella x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Ella,

It was nerve wracking and sometimes difficult, but okay. There were two people in the room - a doctor/psychiatrist and a social worker. They just asked questions for just over an hour, questions about what the problem is at the moment, how I'm coping, life history, am I a danger to myself etc. I had really nice people, but I'd just recommend going for it and telling them as much as possible. I got new meds, referral to the day hospital and someone calls me every evening too.

Good luck! Hope everything gets better for you too smile

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up