Are my feelings 'typical' for anxiety / depression ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Dear All. I am wondering if what I am experiencing is usual for anxiety/depression or is particuarly severe or an indication of something else going on? I do have anxiety and depression but it comes with an incredibly uncomfortable, restless, almost angry feeling, For example at the moment I am feeling so pent up and agitated - it has got a lot worse with the spring and longer, warmer days. The future is so bleak and I have so many money worries it is truly terrifying. I live on my own and could loose my job so no wonder I am feeling a lot of the things. However I wondered about the uncomfortable agitation and how I feel like screaming sometimes. Even getting washed is uncomfortable and I keep getting hot flashes as the internal energy / agitation has no where to go. it is intolerable. Sleeping is so difficult now as I feel panicky and my heart beats fast. Mornings are horrendous - as soon as it gets light i start to get more panicky and my heat starts thumping even more. It feels pretty severe to me and I don't know how much longer I can cope with it - it is truly horrendous. Have had/am having CBT but I am not at the right stage for any of it to be effective - my feelings/what is happening inside me is way to strong to control.

I don't feel manic or like doing anything extravagant so it is not bi-polar. I am not on meds yet as I cannot find any without intolerable side effects which is another big problem causing a lot of internal conflict. I also have minimal GP support causing more problems. I am not strong enough physically or mentally to take a lot of side effects so just don't know what to do as I will not get better....Any thoughts on symptoms etc appreciated. C

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I can't understand it why some GP's give minimal support -they're trained to help people, not rush them through the mandatory 10 minutes of seeing them instead of patiently trying  to glean help for the individual.

Because they so often go hand in hand, anxiety and depression are considered the fraternal twins of mood disorders.  I really hope you can find the right medication for your suffering with the least amount of side effects.

Prozac helped me greatly for around 7 years and gave me stability with my anxiety.  Take care.

• Posted

Hello Louise

So what I am describing can be seen as 'typical' for bad anxiety and depression? If feels truly horrendous and I can hardly bare it particularly as it is effecting my sleep. Did you experience something similar?

regards C

• Posted

Hi Caroline, yes I DID experience something similar.  I would sleep through the night, but when I woke up felt great anxiety for no reason at all.  I'm a worrier by nature so that certainly didn't help.  I started sertraline a few weeks ago and so far have had no side effects but don't know if it's helping much.  I gather it can take up to 6 weeks to feel the effects.

I am so sorry you're going through this with added health issues.  It does sound like bad anxiety and depression, and you can't go on with this stressful overload.

You need to find, like Purple mentioned, the right medication and the proper dosage that doesn't interfere with other issues you have.

My heart goes out to you and please keep us updated - the bleakness will abate I'm certain with the right treatment.

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I can relate to everything you are saying and its tough.

I was told that when I get to my 6th CBT session and I dont think its working I would be eligable for psychotherapy which is a bit more rebust than CBT.

I have serious underlying problems with depression

Stay Strongeek

• Posted

Hi Just wondering how old you are, the reason I ask is that I too have suffered with bouts of severe anxiety and depression, I started hrt a couple of months ago and although I wouldn't say it's a miracle cure I am starting to feel a lot better and not half as anxious as before, not sure if this is helpfull to you but just worth getting checked to see if it's hormonal
    • Posted

HI - I did reply Yammy but is it not showing. I went through the menopause a while ago and it is not hormonal. Wish it was... thanks for asking anyway. C
    • Posted

hopefully you  will get sorted out soon, I wish you all the best 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.