Are my mood swings im getting now a sign of improvement

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, after an unsuccessful switch to citalopram, am now on venlafaxine, 150mg for 5 weeks. The citalopram disaster and long drawn out switch to ven, made me more depressed than ive ever been. I was constantly terrified and really down, all the time. No good days at all. First 4 weeks on ven 150mg dose, seem to slightly help make me feel less hopeless and a bit calmer. No good days though. Last 2 weeks, i have experienced mood swings, feeling okay, then down, lasting 4 or 5 days for each. Are the mood swings a sign of improvement? Ive never been in as bad before as i was 6 weeks ago. The state i was in then, is that a worse state than mood swings, ie worse beyond mood swings? Never been as bad as 6 weeks ago, close to giving up, as in admitting myself to hospital. Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, many people have to go through a number of different medications before finding the right one, it is very difficult, have you also tried other methods such as counselling? Hope everything works out!
    • Posted

Thanks. I think ven is working, and i have no side effects im aware of. Just never been beyond mood swings stage before, ie never got in such a bad state. Arriving at mood swing stage, after 4 weeks, feels weird, as normally start off with those. Thats what i think has happend. Its been 7 hard months, talked to a pysc several times, dont feel like counselling, seems to bring things back for me. Thanks.
    • Posted

Ive been on antidepressants nearly ten months and mood swings are still common with me, at times i still self harm etc but the tablets have still done alot better, i refuse the ‘talking to strangers’ as it makes me feel uneasy but this group helps alot, maybe go back to the doctors and request a higher dosage or different medication, personally, sertraline has worked for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.