Are my symptoms an infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was diagnosed 3 years ago with diverticular deceaae and until recently apart from occasional discomfort I have managed to cope with it however this    last few weeks the discomfort has become steadily worse and this last three days the pain in the left side of my abdomen has been really uncomfortable , it hurts when I walk and the is very painful when I press that area. I am also getting lots of wind. I am particularly worried because I had ovarian cancer 5years ago and I'm worried the cancer is back.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That would be worrying! Are the symptoms for diverticular disease and ovarian cancer similar? I am presently awaiting blood test results (including CA125) after which I am to have a colonoscopy and an ultrasound for pain which can get really uncomfortable at times in my left lower pelvis. The pain can go right down into my left foot sometimes.  I don't really have any other symptoms. Bit more wind than I used to but not excessive. 

• Posted

I was originally diagnosed with IBS by my GP but I happened to see an article that said that IBS had similar symptoms to ovarian cancer so I got a second opinion but after I had both ovaries removed plus a few other body parts followed by chemo my tummy problems still seemed to be the same, that prompted a colonoscopy when diverticular was diagnosed, I am now convinced that diverticular saved my life because I probably had it all the time and because of it and my persistence the cancer was picked up on a scan. I recently had a CA125 blood test and that's fine , I am due to have an ultrasound scan next week. So my fingers are crossed.

good luck with your blood test I am sure you will be fine , I was just one of the unlucky ones 

• Posted

HI,

I have had diverticulitis for about 10 years now and have had 3 attacks/infections. what you are describing is an attack, at least the ones I have had. Doesnt sound severe to me as when mine have come on it happens pretty fast and the pain gets so bad I go to the ER, but the pain getting localized and touch sensitive is familiar.

You really need to go to the Dr. and get it checked out. A CT scan will tell you right away if that is what it is. take care. Jim

• Posted

Thank you, I suppose no 2 people have identical symptoms but it makes me feel better knowing that they sound familiar, could it  get worse if left untreated on will it eventually get better until the next flare up.
    • Posted

not always. two of mine came with no or very low grade fever, now I guess if you let it go long enough you would have one, but in my experience the pain would be so great that the last thing to worry about would be fever. Jim

• Posted

there were a couple of times when I thought I was having an attack, but it did calm down. Never went to the Doc on those occasions so dont know for sure. With this disease I think it's just luck of the draw.

• Posted

This has got steadily worse since middle of February, last week I had about 4 days free of pain and on Thursday it came back with a vengeance ,. I will go back to docs on Tuesday.

thank you for your help 

• Posted

You need a CT scan to confirm Diverticulitis  and that should ease your mind off of the cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.