Are the symptoms linked or is this coincidental?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi people but especially ladies. I need help, I don't know what is going on but every month at the start of each cycle my IBS seems to kick off something chronic, making feel like death warmed up, is this typical and how do I stop of the symptoms. I am trying evening primrose rather than antidepressants but don't know if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but ovulation seems to do the same thing. Am I right or what else could it be? It's stopping me in my tracks, not even broached it with my doctor too embarrassed!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If it's starting every month at the same time it could possibly be PMT, do you get it at any other time

• Posted

Hi Sam,

IBS does get worse in a lot of women at that time of the month. It used to happen to me, and my 3 daughters who also suffer with IBS also say the same thing. It’s obviously a hormonal problem making it worse.  Perhaps at that time of the month you could try eating only low FODMAP foods to see if that helps or try and plan something relaxing (like an aromatherapy massage or something) as it’s possible you are more stressed at that time. Vitamin B6 with the evening primrose is useful in some women in the second half of their cycle.

• Posted

Thank you Fiona, I didn't think I was imagening things. I have a really low fodmap diet anyway but will try what you say.

• Posted

Periods can really make your IBS worse and IBS can make periods worse too.  I used to get this with IBS.  Hormones are a nightmare! I just take nurofen and buscopan and that helps.  I have tried evening primrose oil for mood swings with the period and vitamin B6 but neither worked.
    • Posted

I agree being a woman with IBS is a nightmare the only thing that works so far is evening primrose, so I am sticking to it despite it tasting disgusting! Thanks for the advice though.
  • Posted

I haven't been offically diagnosed with IBS yet but it's been going on for a few months. My cramps are slightly worse but not much, more diarrhea, and I'm so moody and stressed all week. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.