Are there specific instructions on how to sleep at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had total knee replacement 10 days ago and everyone has told me to always keep my affected leg straight and elevated whenever I'm lying down, so I assumed that meant all night too. I was also told never to put a towel or pillow under my knee as that could form blood clots, so I lie there with a towel or pillow under my ankle or calf with the rest of my leg "dangling" and is very uncomfortable. 

Did I misunderstand? I've also tried lying on my good side with a pillow between my knees, but I'm still scared to death to bend my affected leg for fear it will not heal properly.

I'm so happy to find this forum - you all sound like such great people to share our common concerns with!

PS has anyone slept with a body pillow? Is that allowed?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find it quite scary how advice varies so much.  Was told to never put anything under the operated knee.  Sleeping is a real trial.  Have a V-pillow which helps, but these God-awful stockings and the high temperatures we've been having make sleeping a nightmare.  Am just over 5 weeks post op.
    • Posted

Thank you Lynn for answering so quickly. I was not instructed to wear stockings - don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I will try the V- pillow. Is that something I can buy at Bed, Bath & beyond?
    • Posted

From your reply, are in you the US?  Bed, Bath & Beyond is a favourite store when we are visiting our daughter who lives in New Mexico.  Yes, I am sure you can buy one there.  Certainly you'll be able to buy one in a large store (Super Target?).  I have had to wear the DVT stockings for six weeks, day and night with half an hour window for a shower.  We've had hot weather in the UK and it has been just awful.  They come off in one week and then I shall burn them!!
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, yes I live in Ventura, CA ( 30 miles south of Santa Barbara which is better known smile

We have Target as well so I'm sure I'll find that V- pillow. I will anxiously await this next week with you so you can get relief of those socks! I had thought about postponing my surgery until winter, at the thought of going through this & exercises in heat & humidity but dr recommend not.

• Posted

Santa Barbara area is a wonderful part of the World!  Did the drive down the Big Sur from San Francisco to San Simeon and Monterey a few years ago whilst visiting California.  But I digress, good luck with your recovery and keep in touch!
    • Posted

That drive is absolutely one of my favorites! Our entire northern coast brings me such peace smileThank you Lynn and good luck with your recovery as well!
  • Posted

Hi Betty, I'm a bit of a veteran at this TKR after having 3 in 3 years (2 on the left) as Lynn commented over here in the UK we have to wear the aptly named God awful stockings 4 6 wks, I was actually quite surprised after reading various comments on this forum where people don't have to wear them (lucky things) I have always slept with a long boulster cushion under my operated leg on returning home after surgery, as this is the only way I've been able to get any sleep, I'm afraid it's just trial & error until u find a position that suits u, mind u saying that if ur not wearing the stockings maybe that's not the best advice, I would double check with ur fizio just 2 make sure? I hope u have a speedy recovery & feel the benefits of ur new joint as u go along, stick with ur excercise programme but try not 2 overdo things as this will put u back, good luck 😀
    • Posted

Oh Tom, I feel for you! Three surgeries in three years?? I do hope the last surgery will be your final one!! Good luck to YOU and thanks for your "hard earned" advice. It's interesting ( but also scary) how so many people have gotten different instructions from their doctors. 

• Posted

Well Betty, strange u should say that as I'm in tomorrow afternoon for a left THR, followed by the right in 3 months if all goes well? Seems my knee pain is all down 2 my hips, it's only taken 3 years 2 work this out? I could be looking at having both knees done again as they are both loose & rattling about all over the place, if my knee pain goes after my hips are done I'm going to have a long hard think about whether or not 2 have any further surgeries on my knees & just put up with the rattling? Guess I'm just a bit unlucky? 😞
    • Posted

Oh my gosh Tom! All my best to you! I truly hope the two THR will finally bring you enough relief that you won't need the knee surgeries again sad

You have a positive attitude and are an inspiration. Best of luck tomorrow!

• Posted

Thanx Betty, gotta keep smiling while u can? There's enuf miserable people in this world already? 😀😀😀😀 good luck 2 u on ur road 2 recovery 😉
    • Posted

Well said! Please let us know how you are doing when you are home! Again, good luck to you!
  • Posted

I am 3.weeks now. I don't see why you cannot bend your knee , that is what you need to do. I was told not to put a pillow under my knee , because this will stop th knee straightening . Putting a rolled towel under your ankle is an exercice I have to do . I find it painful, but it is not be left there all night !!  Do you do the bending your knee exercises while you are sitting ? I did find going over on to my side uncomfortable , but better now. I think maybe you have got confused . The knee must be straightened but also bended . 
    • Posted

Yes, I do the knee bending exercises while sitting in a chair. I was under the impression though that I could not bend it while sleeping as it would not heal properly, that it would heal with a bend in it. 

I feel like I did not get enough information when I was discharged from the hospital. I don't like calling my dr everyday, but with so many different approaches out there, obviously I need to write my questions down and get a straight answer from him.

thank you Pam for your advice.

• Posted

I'm on a role now Betty, meant 2 say when ur doing ur bend sitting in a chair that if u have carpet or a rug, put a plastic carrier bag under ur foot as this will help a great deal & makes dragging the leg backwards & forwards a whole lot easier, give it a try & c how u get on? Good luck 😉

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.