Are there specific instructions on how to sleep at night

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had total knee replacement 10 days ago and everyone has told me to always keep my affected leg straight and elevated whenever I'm lying down, so I assumed that meant all night too. I was also told never to put a towel or pillow under my knee as that could form blood clots, so I lie there with a towel or pillow under my ankle or calf with the rest of my leg "dangling" and is very uncomfortable. 

Did I misunderstand? I've also tried lying on my good side with a pillow between my knees, but I'm still scared to death to bend my affected leg for fear it will not heal properly.

I'm so happy to find this forum - you all sound like such great people to share our common concerns with!

PS has anyone slept with a body pillow? Is that allowed?

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Betty, I too had a TKR 10 days ago here in the UK. I find it very uncomfortable to lie with my leg straight for very long. I put a pillow between my legs and manage to sleep on either side now. I saw my consultant yesterday and he confirmed that this was fine. Even under the knee he said although the physios advised against this. He said the knee was cemented and fixed and lying on it in any position wouldn't harm it. I still wake every couple of hours in some discomfort though. Hoping it'll improve in time. I think it's a slow job! 
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, that sounds very encouraging to be able to sleep on both sides! I've obviously been doing something very wrong! I look forward to trying that tonight!
  • Posted

wow all these different things , i was told to use a pillow under the whole leg ,and 4 and a half months on ive only just b een able to lie on my side or tummy ,and i also sleep with the pillow between my legs , so i guess you have to decide whats best for you .x
    • Posted

I've just emailed my dr (and hope he answers this time!) asking him to straighten out my confusion and if a body pillow or pillow under my entire leg is OK. Yes, a lot of different advice! Thanks Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.