ARE TWO KNEES 2x1 KNEE

Posted , 9 users are following.

Calling all of you that have had two knees done TKR.

Did you find that your second knee experience was as tough as the first one.

think there are quite a few of us a bit in trepidation at the thought of having 2nd knee being done. 

How long did you wait in between .

Was it better because you knew what was coming

How did your other knee cope with the pressure of the new knee

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Right TKR 6 years ago.  Left TKR 20 days post op. Both completely different. Expectations not met. That's the big mistake.  Different variances. Six years older, the knee had more wear and tear, different surgeon. Oral painkillers instead of morphine drivers  Point made is do not  compare. Impossible. From this forum you will know we all are recovering differently. However, my previous TKR has not bothered me at all by the surgery. I am getting there and now doing better.  This knee has been very swollen which had restricted my recovery. Could not leg raise for 7 days. It came and it's on mend. Go for it.But have no expectations. Good luck

Robert

• Posted

thanks for this, soobeedoo.  will be watching with great interest as my left knee needs doing too.and like all of us on here who had a tough first operation, i would/will be going into it with lots of trepidation.
  • Posted

Dear Mr S

I also would like to know how it is with the second time aound.  The shel

f life of my second knee is coming to the end. Very paifull to walk and bend.

I had TKR seven and a half months ago. It was a horrendous experience but I am not particularly afraid of the send operation.  Perhaps it is like with the birth pains, you forget it. (it is not that you would had experienced it, nor am I for that matter). i have seen a surgeon, Mr Briggs - Stanmore Hospital in London, and he wants to for the operated knee to improve, before operating on second one.  My implant is Genesis II Zirconium.  Any thoughts on implants?  My right knee was also very swollen and red after operation, could not raise it for a long time, now no problem with raising it, apparently muscle tone very good, but bend is a broblem. in laying position bend 95 degrees, in sitting on a table on on a chair, with leg down 110 degrees. Is anyone has experience of bend improving after months after surgery. My surgeon thinks it is possible by riding a bike and lowering the sit gradually.

All the best to all of you.

The weight loss is not going great by the way. But there is hope I will come to my senses and stop eating. 

• Posted

Hi Grace, I did the exercise bike thing and it worked really well!

Regards Paul

• Posted

I had continued improvements fro aquacize and biking until I reached 135 degrees by about 6 months from 95 at 6 weeks. Keep working on it. I found water workouts the best.
  • Posted

Hi.  First TKR Dec 2012. Got to the stage where had to go in and have manipulated under general at 5 months as couldn't straighten it.

2nd TKR 17 weeks ago today.  Thought it would be easier as bespoke knee this time, but struggling to straighten when been sitting for a while...and still using a crutch outside.  Hoping that it will get better.

• Posted

Hi patsyrose,

can you tell me a bit your experience with the manipulation.

although Im only 23 days post op, Im pretty sure my surgeon wants to do the MUA on me. What was the pain level like afterwards?

mt bend is at 80 at the moment and although the physio folks are happy because there is continuous improvement, the surgeon wants it up past 100. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi Peter, how are you? I'm progressing apart from intermittent outer knee pains. It's most annoying. Can get them when lying flat . I'm hoping its soft tissue and will settle. Has anybody experienced similar? To finish off with lousy lower back pain from bed time. I'm not a happy bunny. But things will improve.

robert

• Posted

Hi Robert, doing well thaqnk you.

just got back from physio again and improved another 5 points. went from 80 to 85 in 2 days so I'm pretty happy. worked hard to get it there but things are going in the right direction.

I have experienced those outer knee pains and they do settle. MIne oddly enough moved around but have now setled completely.

The lower back issue is like you say, from lack of sleep and in the same position. Those to will settle as nights get better.

I have cut down on the pain pains and been icing more and have been

able to sleep sometimes 5 hrs at a time now. It's a long haul but things do improve! pretty soon before you it, we will soaring with the eagles!

Keep moving forward and keep up the good work!

• Posted

My surgeon recommended an interval or at least 6 months. I wanted to enjoy my summer and fall with one new knee: biking, swimming, golf and hiking so it was 9 months before I had the second one done. The first knee and muscles were very sstrong and helped me immensely as I recovered from the second surgery as I could squat with my entire weight on that leg when necessary. By the way, whenever I did physio for the new knee I also did the same exercises for the other one. Consequently it was strong and ready for surgery -much more ready than the first one had been. With one new knee I could work both knees more than I had been able to for probably a decade.I had quadriceps!!!!! And I was proud of them. Lol.

I was more nervous before the second knee surgery but I find age and knowledge has made me more nervous before every surgery. I did, however, find that I was better prepared because I knew what to expect. I had my world set up better to accommodate it. And my husband was better prepared too. He was a great help both times. I am happy that both knees are done now and that I only have two knees! :-)

• Posted

That's great. Very positive . Good idea about doing physio for both knees. Were you able to walk better with one done and in the first days of your new one
    • Posted

Yes, I agree. thats an excellent idea to work the both legs at the same time. whether you've had two knees done or one.
  • Posted

Reply for Peter re mannipulation:

I got to the stage where I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor, because it tightened up so much.  I went back into hospital after 5 months and my knee was manipulated under general...it tears the adhesions that have formed.  I then woke up on a CPM machine and used that regularly over 2 days in hospital.  It immediately made walking so much easier and I improved steadily from there.

• Posted

I wouldnt mind to much if they did it under general. what I'm afraid of is them doing it with no anesthetic at all. I was told they would take me down to the basement and force the bend. now if anyone takes me down to a basement, I'm the only one coming back up! hahaha!
  • Posted

yes , i had the right one done last feb 17 th and waited till august the 4th for the second , and yes things were much easier the 2nd time ,one thing was the fact that i knew what was what and knew the easier way to deal with things , how to sleep easier , dress , walk , not to rush and relax ,take time for me ,and done worrie if the washing etc had been done, even the op was better with no stress of what was coming, cause i had already done it , so i would advise any one to go ahead , even though i know it maynot be the same for every one ,smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.