Are we all just going mad??

Posted , 9 users are following.

OK... So 6 months ago I've started getting super super panicky and light headed, and totally started losing it... I'm getting frequent panic attacks and just a total sense of dread.. I'm a health anxious person too so every niggle I feel I think - heart attack/seizure/stroke/death- and I actually cannot get it out of my head like what's even the point? I had this same anxiety 5 years ago and beat it.. only for it to return like this.. I can barely work and I can barely parent.. please someone tell me im not the only one who thinks that they're not dying.. just maybe going insane??

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I don't think I am dying, I think I am losing the plot but that is normal with anxiety, none of us are really going mad, if we were we wouldn't know it and it would be other people concerned whilst we merrily behaved in strange ways believing ourselves to be normal.

What we have that proves we are not insane is self awareness and sadly that self awareness causes our anxiety to grow but it can be beaten, you have done it before, you will do it again but it will take time and there will be setbacks.

To quote the mad hatter from Alice in wonderland, he says 'I don't know why they say people suffer from insanity, I have never been happier'.

But you do suffer, you are not happy, you are not going insane, you are far too self aware to be crazy, anxiety is lying to you, it lies to us all but I promise you are feeling a normal anxiety reaction,you are not mad x

• Posted

Yes me!! I am absolutely obsessed with thinking I am going to have a seizure or I have a terrible illness! Everytime I get a symptom I panic and spend half my life at the doctors or hospital having tests done!
  • Posted

Yes I'm a health obsessed mess too! Everything worries me,constant bad taste and lump in throat. I'm told its anxiety and I do believe it is,but doesn't stop me worrying
    • Posted

I have the taste to!! Sometimes it's like metallic and other times it's almost sour it's horrible!!
    • Posted

Yup its disgusting isn't it? My tongue seems horrible too,its amazing what anxiety can do!
    • Posted

I don't think anything can stop us from worrying though.. they could literally do every test under the sun and give us the all clear but we'll still think that they just got us on a good day.. it's funny how our brains convince us we'we about to kick the bucket and give us every single symptom we can muster up ..
  • Posted

Hi, your not going mad I am just the same read to much into every little thing, I've just gone really cold and convinced myself there was something wrong and I'm going to collapse, i know deep down its probably a cold setting in because my daughter has had it for over a week but that dosnt stop the feeling of panic setting in, i started on escitalopram 2.5mg on 1st Jan, now I'm worrying about side effects, I know when they kick in I will be fine as I went through all this 10 years ago but at the moment the obsessive thoughts about my health are unbearable, the mind is very powerful but there is light at the end of all this hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

There is a light at the end of this actual never ending tunnel.. I've gotten through it once and I will vow to do it again... It's so simple too .. once the medication kicks in you'll wonder what u ever worried about before!! I hope they work for u xx
  • Posted

I actually have epilepsy, only recently diagnosed. I've suffered anxiety all my life, and I'll tell you now there's a distinct difference in the build up to having a seizure and a panic attack. From someone who suffers both, I think you'd know if you were about to have a seizure. Anxiety really does play tricks on the mind, and it's something you need to learn to live by rather than fight. You need to accept it, accept that it's not doing you any harm.
    • Posted

This is going to sound so horrible but thank you so much, because I've been dreading having one but surely I would have had one by now if it was going to happen.. I can't get it out of my head though... I'm going back to doc at the end of the month and I'm gonna get her to put me on beta blockers or something.. I can deal with the anxiety itself just not the symptoms or the attacks... I will beat this mother f**ker again!!
  • Posted

I suggest you read a book called the Mood Cure by Ross.  Lacking amino acids would explain why it comes and goes...  pretty incredible read.  It worked for me.  Good luck.
  • Posted

I've said this to so many other people, but this is what helps me. I too beat anxiety about 3 years ago, but I relapsed hard a few weeks ago. Remember how it was to be happy and start to appreciate your happy moments. This can really help get through times like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.