are you an introvert?

Posted , 5 users are following.

ive had anxiety for years now, ive took beta blockers for almost a year, which help with the physical symptoms. but there starting to creep back in. though the medication has helped, i feel like im isolating myself from eyeryone rather than having to deal with any anxiety. Im married, im not close with my family, and ive excluded myself from all my friends gradually over the past year or two. i work but i find it really difficult to talk to my colleagues, or anyone really, i find it very stressful, and will avoid at all costs. im reaching out, does anyone have the same issues? ive become very introverted and unsocial, angry and judgemental, beacuse im unhappy with GAD and depression.  

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yep, all the above, you are not alone, debilitating disorder to have regarding social relationships x
  • Posted

I've been suffering anxiety and have no desire to interact and gain no pleasure or stimulation interacting with anyone.  I'm dead inside.
    • Posted

I wish there was a magic pill to eradicate this anxiety....crippling isnt the word.
    • Posted

Jim - you have described exactly how I feel and have said as much to friends, (see my reply to vikmoir). I just want to send my good wishes to you and say how sad I feel at the thought of someone else suffering like this.
  • Posted

Hello Vikmoir

Yes, I do. Anger is not an issue for me, but during the past year my social anxiety has been increasing in its intensity and now my life is very similar to the way you describe yours.

I read Jim's reply, and he has taken the words out of my mouth. A few weeks ago I forced myself to go out and have a coffee with a friend I have known for 25 years. The kind of think most people do without a second thought. He told me that I looked okay, except for my eyes and when I asked him to explain, he said they looked "lifeless".

My reply was "That's because I'm already dead". The hope I want to share with you Vikmoir, is that needn't be a permanent state. It comes in cycles and when it lifts, it releases energy you can use to help minimise the intensity and frequency of this horrible feeling.

You said that you are "reaching out". Well I am responding. I know how you feel, so it's not sympathy I have for you, its empathy. I'm in your shoes. The irony is that you feel in an incredibly lonely place, while statistically, you and I are part of a very large number of sufferers like Gina and Jim. My heart goes out to them too.

I can only hope and pray that telling you this in some way helps you. You now know at least three people on here suffer the same feelings and there may well be a number of replies yet to come from other members.

All the things you have done and are doing to "isolate" yourself may not be helpful as well you know, but I understand how difficult this is to fight. I will just end by telling you that I spent an hour and a half with my good friend mentioned above, and when I got home, the emotional effort had drained so much energy from me that I fell asleep while watching the news at 6pm and woke at 11pm.

I am sending you my very best wishes and my hopes that you can manage this condition to the best of your ability. If you could find a friend that truly understands how you feel, then you may feel able to open up to them and communicate freely again.

Take care of yourself mate.

• Posted

Very best wishes to you to Rainboy.....I am exhausted but terrified to try and sleep as my anxiety decided that its a great time to kick in.
  • Posted

All of the above. Our catchphrase should be, "Join the club, we've got jackets". I isolate myself from my friends, I don't answer the phone, I check messages and only respond to important calls.

I'm surprised that you are not taking an antidepressant. Maybe you should make an appointment to discuss all this with your doctor?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.