Arthroplasty or Arthrodesis?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Had a disaster ours past 18 months! Jan 2016 went in for what I thought would be a routine longitudinal arthrodesis of my left ankle for severe arthritic pain. Already had a suceesful lateral fusion 10 years earlier. 3 months later after being given the go ahead to start PWB I sustained a fracture to the tibia at the exact point where the screws had been inserted. Another three months in a cast and the fracture had still not healed! At this point I was moved Consultants and from Private to NHS! Next stop was an external fixation for 3 months! This alone had its own complications! Frame was removed 4 days before Christmas, but was still in discomfort! Was informed that the tibia had fused slightly out of line, which meant that I placed my foot on the outside edge!! Orthotics didn't help as I still had severe pain. Now I've been told that the joint hasn't healed and I require another procedure!!! This involves plates and screws and some jiggery pokery!! I was off work for 12 months and after returning for 3 months on light duties have recently been stood down again because I can't fulfill my role. They've been very understanding and supportive but their patience is wearing thin. I've got a phone meeting this morning to discuss my options, including early retirement through ill health.

This is a very worrying time for me. I'm only 54 and was also diagnosed with Parkinson's 2 years ago. I'm an aircraft engineer and I love my job.

Should I ask my Consultant for an arthroplasty instead of the full fusion? I want to keep my job and have some hope in the near future....

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy.

Have you managed to have an open and honest conversation with your consultant about what he/she would recommend? I know that he/she can't make the decision for you but he could help you weigh up all your options maybe?

I did this with my consultant as I'm only 41, i have a young child and a very active job as a ward sister which I love. After 7 ankle ops in the space of 14yrs I made the hard decision to go for the fusion, I just wanted the best chance of lasting another 10yrs at work you support my family!

Anyway, I would say make an appointment and explore in detail all your options with him/her as it may provide some clarity for you.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks for that.

I actually have an appointment next week to do just that.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.