Arthroscopic Procedure on TKR?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bilateral TKA our one year and five months ago. My right knee is fine aside from constant clicking when I walk. My left knee doesn’t seem to track right under the knee cap, and it is painful to extend as it catches when I straighten from bent position. Sitting with a bent left knee in a theater or airplane is very uncomfortable/painful and I have to extend my leg after 10 minutes. My orthopedist took x-rays at the one-year mark and said everything looks great. But it doesn’t move great!! I’m a bike rider and each bend of this knee is uncomfortable with each rotation of the pedal.  My orthopedist said he can do an arthroscopic exam or procedure. Has anyone had an arthroscopic procedure on an existing TKR? Any idea what’s causing this problem? Can it be solved with an arthroscopic procedure or adjustment? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had a tkr in Feb. All was well for about 4 weeks, then I developed a catching, clicking feeling at a certain point in my flex action. It was also painful. Surgeon did an X-ray and said everything looked fine. Had my other tkr in April. Same thing happened on that knee. Surgeon suggested arthroscopic just to look around to see if she could detect a problem. Turns out there was scar tissue in places that didn’t show up on the X-rays. She removed the scar tissue from both knees and that solved the problem. Hope all goes well for you. 

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience! I hope all is that simple for me, and all it is is scar tissue that’s getting in the way of my patella gliding smoothly. It’s getting to be intolerable! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.