arthroscopy on tuesday

Posted , 9 users are following.

After seeing my surgeon in february this year i've had several xrays and an mri scan of my right knee and have finally made it to the top of the waiting list! I am in such horrible pain and am almost housebound, just walking a couple of yards and I need to sit down.

I think that because the pain is so bad and I've had it for about 15 years although the pain has definately worsened in the last 12 months I can't imagine it going away. Apparently my knee is full of debris and I have a meniscal tear which will be cleaned out and repaired.

My left knee has quite severe OA  but it is nowhere near as painful as my right knee strangely. Just walking (staggering) around the house exhausts me and my grandchildren being here for the day knocks me for six.

Anyway wish me luck for tuesday, I'm having a general anaestetic but will be out the same day. See you on the other side!!! Where hopefully I won't be walking like Quasimodo. Deb

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You will be fine, been there done that, almost certain home same day.

you will feel so much better and pain free very quickly.

good luck

• Posted

Awww bless your heart.Understand walking like quasimodo...it does wear you out when you trying to find a way to function with out trying to hurt so you walk lopsided.I hope all goes well tuesday and after recovery you get some relief.Unfortunatley you may need to wait a few more weeks after to notice. Good luck Grandma dylan
  • Posted

You're now on the right track. Just remember....this is still surgery....give yourself time to rest and heal properly post surgery.

• Posted

Hi i had a couple of repairs to torn cartledge a good few years ago its very sucssesfull and the pain stayed away for a good 8 10 years good luck
  • Posted

Been there. Three times. All docs are different but mine told me ice it for first three days. Swelling will make it hard to bend. Don't force it. Soon as swelling goes down you will gain range of motion back. They have to pump fluid in there to clear out the debri. Takes a while for swelling to go down. my first op I was down 2 weeks. Second was 6 . Third was 9 weeks. Just depends on how much he has to do in there. By down I mean out of work. I was mobile pretty quick. Good luck.

• Posted

Don't come out thinking you'll be doing a jig! It's a surgery and will be extremely painful swollen and bruised! You will need crutches to get around. Just make sure to ice elevate and rest. Stay ahead of the pain and take your meds on schedule. Don't wait for the pain to get unbearable. And it will be at times. If you overdo it within the first couple of weeks you'll be back to square one. And don't let the PT push you till you're in pain! Just say no. Best of luck and prayers.

• Posted

Thankyou all for your lovely comments, I'll be back to tell you how I got on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.