AS & Move from India to the USA

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was detected with AS at the age of 17 (now 30). The flare ups have been more persistent in the last 3-4 years with work keeping me super busy and life style turning sedentary. 

I am planning to start on Biologics treatment in India (Infimab). However there is a possibility that I may relocate to the USA in a couple of months. 

Have any of you been treated with Remicade in the USA ? Is it covered by insurance ? Do I have to take any special plan ? My company would provide me basic insurance but I am unsure if the insurance plans would cover AS (especially if it is previously diagnosed)

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

?   I don't believe that you will have that hard of a time getting insurance to cover Remicade.  My wife has been on Remicade for the last 13 years.  In the beginning I had coverage with Aetna insurance through my company.  We had the top of the line coverage that my company would provide because both of us definitely used our medical coverage.  Since retiring my wife is now covered via a combination of Medicare and a supplemental insurance.  Medicare covers 80% and the supplemental covers the rest.

?By the way, Remicade was a Godsend for her.  It has essentially put her RA in remission.  I tried it myself for my condition and unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to it when they tried to dial the dosage up a little from the very low starting point.  Hopefully it will work well for you.

• Posted

Hi Srikanth, did you make this move from India to USA? How is your experience with the insurance?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.