At my wits end

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi I have had hot flushes day and night for the last 9 years, had no sleep in 9 years either as the hot flushes wake me up. I have spent hundreds of pounds on herbal remedys but none work. I cannot have hrt as my dad died of breast cancer at the age of 58 so doctor won't put me on it. Is there anyone out there who could help me in any way thanks.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Nanna sue you've come to the right place. Everyone here is so supportive and can help you more than I can. Just wanted to reassure you that you're not alone. 
  • Posted

Sorry about your dad ,we forget men can get breast cancer,have you tried Melatonin for sleeping ,they say that's good ,as for the flushes I'm not sure ,I've been lucky with them ,hardly noticeable ,but I do drink lots of water,maybe that's been my benifit ,can't say ,plenty will have advice to try ,were all different in its ways to menopause .Its  a female nightmare it just don't know when to quit ,hormones running riot ,as yove probably seen by reading the postings .Good Luck 
    • Posted

Hi there, were do you get melatonin from, is it on prescription or over the counter.I would be over the moon just to get a good nights sleep. Thankyou
    • Posted

If you live in the UK Melatonin is only available on prescription. Places like USA sell it over the counter. When I was on holiday in Mexico about 10 years ago I bought it there over the counter.
    • Posted

You get it over the counter ,ask our Dr ,maybe get it on prescription if they work ,lots I know with tinnitus use it as tinnitus sufferers have sleeping problems ,got nothing to loose give them a try .No thanks needed  just want you to get good sleep in .wearing it has to be don't put you in good space for the next day .x 
    • Posted

Hello marlene. I've never been able to get it in the UK over the counter. I would be interested to know where you get it from.
  • Posted

Just checked Melatonin is only available on prescription in the UK.
    • Posted

Thankyou I might go see doctor, the only thing is I asked him for a mild sleeping tablet before but would not give me it.
    • Posted

Think it's off the prescription list as lots been using it safely  think you can now buy it from Boots and Holland and Barrett .Drs tend to put patients on Citalopram for sleeping issues .Meletonin works far better overall ,as I said ones with tinnitus use it. And they have bad sleeping problems ,I'm one of the lucky tinnitus sufferer I sleep well .
    • Posted

They are reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets but Melatonin is a bit different. People take it for jet lag. It replaces something missing in the body. Google it 
    • Posted

Thanks I think a visit to the doctors is needed. With me not sleeping at night I find I cannot function as good in the day, I am up for work at 6.30 am and sometimes I get so fed up with myself I don't really want to go, but I love my job of 29 years.
    • Posted

Apparently Cialopram is just the other name for Melatonin. Just asked my brother who is a pharmacist. he said Melatonin is only available on prescription in the UK
    • Posted

Speak to your GP about Melatonin on prescription. He may just agree to that as it adjusts the body clock. Even if he gave you a private prescription it wouldn't be that expensive. 
    • Posted

Thankyou I will give it a try, I will let you know.
  • Posted

Have you tried valerian ? I also find anti sea sick tablets knock me out for at least seven hours ( sadly they are a one off as not good to take all the time) not fun hot ushers just starting my 12 th year of them
    • Posted

Yes I have but don't work, tried kalms night, boots sleepezzy , they sort of make you drowsy but soon as a mega flush comes it wakes me up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.