At the end of my tether. Don't know what to do

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 23 and had anxiety for as long as i remember. been taking setraline and SR propranolol for a few years which takes the edge off.

Since November I've noticed things getting worse and worse. I went and discussed things Late November and They just upped me to 100mg setraline a day.

I'm at the point now where I can barely go into uni because I will just have to throw up walking out the door or at any point while I'm out. I can't face coursework, I am constantly having a panic attacks and feel on the verge of one nearly all the time and I'm not sleeping.

I want to the doctor today. Told him all this and he said that I had to wait a month for uni to be quieter then they are going to wein me off setraline and try something else which will take many weeks.

I do have counceiling which helps but I can't help but feel that waiting until easter then going for a month long medication change which will be hell for something that only might work seems really slow because I really can't take much more now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I feel helpless and like an idiot for going into the doctor today.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hey! Im 22 and have suffered with extreme anxiety which has worsened over the past 2 years. I am petrified of being sick and the last month everyone in my family and my boyfriend caught a sickness bug which this week has left me having anxiety which gave me physical symptoms like a bug but i wasnt sick. Its now day 3 and i feel much better and am going to eat something, i have realised that all that pain and suffering was ridiculous when i wasnt even the one that was ill! If i carry on i will push away everyone thats closest to me.

We are stonger than we think, dont give up!! I know what its like to feel hopeless. Yesterday i hit rock bottom and today i feel much better so is it really worth it?

Take deep breaths and get plenty of fresh air! I feel talking about it helps wonders. Everyone around me knows i suffer with anxiety which makes me feel more at ease.

Coming of your medication is the best thing as you dont wanna rely on medication for ever. Try herbal rememdies like calms or rescue remedy. Get lots of exersise and whenever you feel a panic take a deep breath and try talk yourself round. Xx

• Posted

Have you tried any benzodiazepines like Xanax or klonipin, Valium ?? I found that they work well for the chronic anxiety the antidepressants don't help to much on their own . The benzodiazepines are not a long term answer but they can help you get a hold of the anxiety and feel more in control over the situation . Hope that helps .
    • Posted

I don't even know how I would get them. The doctors have never mentioned anything like that.
    • Posted

I would ask your doctor then because they are widely used for anxiety disorders . Doctors don't like to use them because they can be addictive to some people but in our case with anxiety it is very helpful .
    • Posted

Won't they just think I'm a junkie if I just ask for it?
    • Posted

I think it depends on your doctor. I was lucky to have a good doctor and good physcologist and the two doctors work together to help me . Maybe you could just say that you spoke to someone who mentioned the short term use of these medications can be helpful they might receive that better than just asking for them ? Do you have a councelour or just seeing medical doctor ?
    • Posted

I'm back on the counceiling waiting list after it has got bad again. I get counceiling through my uni as well but that is only somewhat useful as they can't offer CBT or anything like that.

I think half the problem is I don't like having to ask for help. When im in the doctors office. I just clam up and say it how it is without any emotion really. It might seem like I am exagerating which justisnt the case. I'm just anxious about being in the doctors office.

• Posted

I understand. It's hard to ask for help but that's what makes our anxiety worse . It's kinda a endless circle because it's embarrassing to ask for help but without asking we sit in silence and suffer . Counseling really helped me because it gave me someone to talk to and she helped me see that a lot of my thoughts were irrational and its what's making me sick with worry . Hope that helps
  • Posted

Hi, firstly don't feel like an idiot for seeing the doctor today, if you'd broken your arm or had a serious wound you wouldn't have felt like an idiot yet anxiety/depression are far worse!

Is there anything you know of that causes you to feel anxious or is it just generally?

• Posted

im no doc but have had similar to you and for me no pills they help initially but its surely not getting to the route of problems long term?
  • Posted

Don't feel like an idiot - you are far from that. It was very sensible of you to go in! 

I can understand the logic of him suggesting changing your meds at a quieter time of Uni, as you will most probably feel worse before feeling better while you get weaned off this medication and onto another one. (I was advised that meds come out of your body a lot quicker than they absorb into it). However this really doesn't help you when you are feeling so bad about it. 

Can you try calling up your drs tomorrow and telling him that you can't wait until then, you'd rather start them now? 

It could just be that you don't get on with Sertraline. I was put on that in the past and it didn't do anything for me personally and I had to be switched, but the alternative worked a treat. 

Most importantly don't beat yourself up - you are not an idiot for going to see the doctor - don't let your anxiety talk you into thinking any less of yourself. 

• Posted

You sound like you're going through a similar thing to me. My anxiety ararted at beginning if January when I started a new placement at Uni, it was on a ward, and the first 4 days I vomited, dizziness, nausea, and feeling faint due to anxiety (3of those days I lasted 20 mins before vomiting) I'm on propanolol 160 mg a day but I don't think it is helping as everytine I go to London (where my Uni is) I get anxious, hot and nauseous! As it's not gone from the ward to the whole if London causing anxiety (no idea why!!!) if you find anything that helps you please let me know! X
    • Posted

Yeah we sound very similar. I don't think I could handle London haha. I am tempted to go back to the doctor tomorrow and just be blunt about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.