At the end of the day !

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've tried to offer help and advice for a few people on here.  This may sound harsh, but all the talking and chatting on-line although helpful isn't the answer.    Do you want to get better or not ?    If you do, then seek the professional help like your G.P.   I've suffered all my adult life with depression and sometimes you have to to be told what you don't want to hear.    It is your body after all.   These people are obviously trained professionals and are there to help. If you don't get on with or like your G.P. then ask to see somebody else in the practice.   Talking is all very well and good, but at the end of the day, it is your responsibility to do it yourself

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I understand what you're saying but I think to be fair the majority on here have already done that, seen a doctor, counsellor and or are on meds, like me I think people like to talk on here, it's not face to face, nobody truly knows you but they understand what you're going through.

Sometimes the best advice can come from a stranger, also I think if people have been through or are going through the same as you then they're a lot more qualified to help And advise than any doctor x 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with Dondons3 - So many people on here have diagnosd medical conditions like myself and don't really need medical help as we already have that. But we need support. For people with rarer conditions, again like myself, chances are you don't know personally anyone else with the same condition or a similar one - you feel alone and scared because nobody around you understands how you feel, which is where sites like these provide so much needed help. The support on offer from so different people around the world has helped so many people, they no longer feel alone and they can learn from someone elses personal experiences, which can provide invaluable information both on procedures and condition management.

So, no offence to you, but I think you need to get your facts straight and think about what you are really saying, because you're wrong.

I respect that you are entitled to your own opinion, and yes, some people on this site do need to go and see a doctor, but the vast majority are looking for support, and that is predominantly what this site provides.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

There are two sides to this, I have been there myself with anxiety and agoraphobia and now my husband has walked out on our family with his own MH issues.  Unlike my husband I admitted I had a problem and got help.  At the time I was ill I was so very frightened, I though I was going mad and there would never be an end to what was a nightmare, I thought no one else was experiencing the same as myself I felt very alone and it was not until I went to group therapy and met others I realised I was not alone.

Angela is right there are things we don't want or like to hear, my husband was told by the Psychologist to deal with his issues, the problem is my husband keeps saying there is nothing wrong with him, he is in denial and has now taken to self medicating with alcohol, he has been seen by no less than 6 medical professionals and all help has been refused.  As much as I still love him after all he has done I no longer want the responsibility to telling our children he is dead or identifying his body. 

Another friend rang last week to say the god mother of her children had committed suicide, she was also seen by 5 medicals professionals, my friend said I bet the medics wished they had sectioned her but i said it would depend what she was telling the medics, at the end of the day we are responsible for ourselves.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Angela, I agree with Dondons and Bizzielzzie that most of us are already on medication and seeing our GP's etc. I find this site very supportive and as i have nobody else to talk to other than on here i find it very helpful. we here can understand what others are going through. Like you i mostly offer my support rather than needing it. If it helps one person a day then it's worth it. Not everybody on here has support else where and GP's dish out pills but haven't got time to listen to us.

If people are waiting for Counselling or therapies it could take weeks and we can give support in the meantime. We don't advocate to be proffessionals but we are going through similar things. There are also people who have any just started to get symptoms and need reassurance that it is normal to feel the way they do. There are a lot of youngsters who are still in school who cannot talk to their peers or parents, what do we do tell them to get over it, i don't think so. Others struggle more than others it's not a weekness it's reconising they are ill and if they didn't want help they wouldn't be on this forum. Feeling alone with Depression or anxiety is not nice, i know myself. Don't patronise people because they need support. I give my time to listen and if a bit of reassurance is what they need that will help them through that is good enough for me.

Elizabeth. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up