At what doses did everybody improve on?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Instead of thinking this citalopram isnt working for me im starting to wonder whether its just the fact that im not on the right dose yet. There have been slight improvements however the last few weeks my anxiety is getting to the point where it was as bas as before. So I was wondering whether others have felt like this and it was bcus they needed an increase???

Im on 20 mg

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was on twenty for 7+ weeks till I couldn't take it anymore. I felt terrible in general with anxiety, weight gain n just a sick feeling in my head. I threw in the towel, waiting on my next AD, Citalopram waa not for me, that's for sure. Worst one I have ever tried. Good luck to you tho. Don't waste to many months trying, if u don't feel like its right for you, get off it, I felt so much better as soon as I stopped it. Only on 7 weeks or so, didn't taper, I took a half one day n then said f#@# it. No problems. Maybe try half your dose, the days I took a half(10mg) Were way better as well! Follow ur gut!
    • Posted

I was on 10 mg for 9 weeks before increasing. It helped at the beginning then my anxiety started getting bad again so it was increased and the same thing again. 20 helped to start then anxiety has just progressively got worse. ,my partner thinks itneeds increasing and I kinda agree with him

I cant blame the citalopram bcus I was really bad before I took it and not sleeping at all where as now im still only getting 4 hrs then I wake with anxiety again

• Posted

Plus ive tried almost every single antidepressant... Ciuldnt tolerate them. This is the longest ive been on one x
    • Posted

You do what u think is right, u know in ur gut if u think its right for you! Just be cafeful increasing n ask for some doctor opinions. Hopefully u see a psych doctor, n not just a gp, psychiatrist have the experience n knowledge to give u the best answers n advise on which way to go next. I suffered 7 plus weeks on 20, no way was I gonna add more mg's. But good luck whatever direction u decide to go. Up or off! I've been taking Valerian root again, n they definitely help me stay mellow n sleep better. Maybe try them also. Natural Herb, no side effects. I've used them on n off for as long as I can remember. Just a thot, might help ur anxiety a touch, n ul sleep better for sure!
  • Posted

I gradually worked up to 40mg. It's better for you to max a dose on one Ned before switching between meds
    • Posted

Not if it's making u unwell or not helping at all after 2 months. Then it's time to move on.
  • Posted

I started on 20 mg, only been on it for just over 2 weeks but side effects have almost gone and I'm feeling a tiny bit better
  • Posted

I recovered on 20mg.

These meds take months and months to work, so when your doctor tells you you'll feel well in a few weeks, that's absolute balomey.  It's generally 3-4 months and longer.  During this time people often increase their dose, adding more side effects on, reducing them then adding withdrawal effects on top, so their bodies don't know if they're coming or going.

You need to take one dose only for many, many, many months before you can decide if you need to increase or if the meds will work for you.

These are tough meds to be on and everyone has different experiences.

Also during recovery many people start to feel better and then find themselves back at the start again.  This is normal and this pattern can repeat itself over and over again for months and months, confusing people.  Again you need to stick with one dose, push through all the ups and downs and just keep going.  It took my son a good 8-9 months of hell before he recovered and he's now back to his normal happy self again.

I was also ill many many years ago which lasted 15 years of hellish depression and anxiety despite taking ani depressants.  Eventually I was out onto SSRI's which worked for me - after 15 years?  Amazing.

Its trial and error finding which meds is for you, and sadly it means months and months on one dose only before you can decide that.

Recovery doesn't just happen, but it creeps up so slowly over months and you'll hardly notice it happening.  This is throughout the ups and downs too.

It's tough.  But you need to stick with it.

• Posted

Hi Kate, did you take 10mg first then go up? If so, how long did you give 10mg and did you go straight up to 20mg? Also did you get side effects again? Thanks xxx
  • Posted

Hi alison. I was on 20mg for 6 weeks. At 6 weeks i felt even worse than before i had started! Things were getting pretty serious and i couldn't carry on feeling that way, so i decided to see a doctor. They upped my dose to 30mg and honestly within 3 days i felt so much better. It gave me the energy to start to change my life in other ways other than the medication e.g. healthy eating, better sleep, excersing, better social life. All of these changes made me feel better, happier and less worrysome by each day. 

I would definetly consider upping the dosage. You deserve happiness and from your story it appears like you you understand your anxiety and want to change it rather than dwell on it, this is the best mind set to have and i know youll defineitly feel better soon!

Hope this helped and keep bettering yourself! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.