Atenolol & Xanax.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I currently take 12.5 mg of atenolol in the morning. My doctor prescribed me xanax 0.25mg, but he wants me to half the tablet to take for my anxiety. They prescribed it to me to take along with the lexapro, but I do not want to start the lexapro. Is it okay for me to take the atenolol along with a quarter of the xanax? .0125 mg? I just want to be able to get out of the house tonight without being on edge or having a panic attack but I'm worried about interactions. I checked the drug interactions online some on them say it can lower blood pressure, some of them say no interactions. My pharmacist said no interactions occur between them but I'm still worried. Wondering if I can get feedback from people who take these two drugs. Thank you,

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Rather then doctor yourself, and run risks of drug interactiins or addiction to benzos or what have you..call the doctor and explain your issues and what you want to do. Yiu wint get proper care like this. I know your scared or dont want to deal or feel you know best but you dont. Thats the truth. You want all this managed properly with the least amiunt of oroblems so call the doctor. If you dont want to try lexapro thats your choice.but be honest with the doctor.
  • Posted

Antidepressents have some anti anxiety components to them...and Lexapro is one of those antidepressents that works on anxiety.

I would suggest following the Drs orders...and seeing how you feel.

I also thought I didn't need antidepressents...but my personality is that I do what Drs say..and doing that...Lexapro DID reduce anxiety.

I can't remember why I stopped it..but at the time...it worked.

• Posted

Did it cause you bad side effects? Did you get more anxious while being on it in the beginning?
    • Posted

I always get more anxious when starting medication and I don't know how much of that is in my head.

Because I fear medication....I would say if it makes you more anxious for  more than 2 weeks..talk to the Dr. about trying something else.

Because SSRI's can either make you better or more anxious.

• Posted

I also do research before beginning any med

lexapro isn't something I what in MY body...

atenolol has a black box warning...u have to be weaned off it slowly or suffer a possible spike in BP...I had good luck with beet juice, apple cider vinegar, green tea & kavakava, unit mom had a stroke...now temporary basis Xanax o.25 mg 1/2 a tab as needed...but that's me...everyone is different...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.