Athletes who have Graves?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with Graves disease, and I'm wondering if there are other athletes out there that have Graves disease.  I'm assuming the struggles that I have had with weakness and rapid heart rate the last few years are related to Graves...  I've been on Methimazole and Atenolol less than a month now.  My doctor was very directive that I do no physical exertion activity for this month, as my resting heart rate was 100-120 (prior to Atenolol) and I was shaking terribly. He felt it was important to let my body rest.

I'm wondering if folks were able to get back to their old physical activity once their thyroid levels were under control?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eileen69894, hyperthyroidism may be accompanied by muscle weakness and muscle pain. Some patients lose muscle mass due to thyrotoxic myopathy. It is imperative to avoid strenuous exercise and instead to rest. The worst thing to do is aerobic training as this will drive your heart rate and thyroid output up.

You could try gentle stretches to keep your muscles as supple as possible. At the moment, I am hyperthyroid and my muscles feel tight.

Your muscle function will improve. During a previous experience with hyperthyroidism it took about 3 months (after the thyroid levels normalized) to regain most of my muscle strength. Btw, I play tennis and swim regularly, but would not consider myself an athlete.

• Posted

Has taken me about 2 mths to really be exercising again. Plus my hip fractured from from untreated hyperthyroid so my “exercise” has been curtailed. But my heart rate is controlled on low dose of propranolol and am just feeling more normal.   Hoping you will be back with it soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.