Ativan taper help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know this will sound stupid, but i"ve been on a 1/4 of  a .5mg ativan once a day  for about 11 days and I am so afraid of getting addicted I want to stop them unless i need on occationally.  I want to know how I taper this.  I started today by taking an 1/8 of the .5mg and will take it once a day like the other, and thought I would take it for 4-5 days then stop.  I've read most problems come when your on a higher dose for a much longer time.  Can anyone help with this.  Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good your being proactive and getting information. I'm currently tapering Klonopin at 3-5% every 2-4+ week's after being on 1mg for 4 year's. Ashton's manual is on the internet and good information. Suggested no more than 10% every 2+ week's for benzo's. There is valuable information on Facebook private group, Benzodiazepine recovery with many people with there experience. Main thing I've learned is only recommended as temporary. I was not told this and learned for myself just how bad benzo's are especially if you take them regularly. I'm not totally against them from what I've learned from many others as well as SSRI's. Bottom line, I would use alternatives that are natural. Example, magnesium glycinate has been a big help for me with sleep and anxiety. Also Omega 3 with high EPA DHA.

• Posted

Hello Patty,

I think you are spot on. Trouble comes for some people on much higher doses than what you are taking. You are tapering down very wisely. I myself am trying to ween off 15mg of zopiclone which is going to be fine. Good luck. You will be ok.

• Posted

hi Patty you should be ok problems usually begin after 2 weeks before you get withdrawal symptoms so just use very sparingly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.