atrial fibrillation and anticoagulant

Posted , 4 users are following.

About 7 years ago I had atrial fibrillation cause by a hole in my heart. I had it fixed and came off warfarin after 2 years of no afib. In January 2014 i had a parathyroidoctomy. ..which triggered my thyroid in going over active which triggered an episode of afib. My thyroid is all ok now and I gave not had afib for over a year. I want to come off anticoagulants especially now am on Rivaroxaban which I can't seem to lose weight on. I haven't had afib for over a year it was an overactive thyroid gland that triggered it...my gp says I could afib again but as long as my thyroid is ok i should be ok. I really want to come off anticoagulants ...advice please ...Thank you x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had Afib 8 years ago for the first time, I woke up with t and didn't really take a lot of notice which makes me think I had mild forms previously which righted themselves. This one was going on and giving me the most awful headache and after checking my BP it would not register so off to Docs with pulse of 150bpm then hospital and it righted itself whilst I was there. I tend to get it when I am asleep but get the missed beats or extra beats throughout the day.

I was told I needed anticoagulants as there was a high risk of stroke and eventually after many years of asking I gave in two months ago and instead of the Rivaroxiban I opted for Warfarin due to the problem about bleeding and Warfarin can be reversed with Vitamin K but Rivaroxiban means a dialasys machine which did scare me. If it means staying on it to avoid a stroke I would carry on. My Afib is not so bad now I am on Warfarin so might be a link to thinner blood and Afib.

• Posted

Hi Thankyou for your reply ... I always know

When I am In afib because like you i

Go very fast. But i haven't had it for over a year. I want to come off aanticoagulants. .would u?

• Posted

I have not been on them long, I wasn't keen to go them at all but the risk outweighed the taking of them. Were you okay on the Warfarin as surely you could swap from the Rivaroxiban if your weight was ok on Warfarin. I have only had two bouts of Afib where it has needed intervention with Bisprolol which sorted it in 45 minutes a few years ago. Do you suffer wtih acid reflux or stomach problems of any kind?
    • Posted

Yes I suffer from acid and reflux problems.

I was on 15mg of bisoprozol for 5 days ..in ccu ..bisoprozol did not work digitalis did. Couldn't do cardioversion because of over active thyroid

• Posted

Most people with Afib have also got digestive problems and I am on Lanzoprazole because of acid reflux and there seems to be a link to the Vagus Nerve for Afib sufferers and digestive problems so definitely worth looking into.
    • Posted

Interesting. .Thankyou for telling me 😊 i

Will decide what to do over the next week . make sure u take warfarin with food. Wish u well x

• Posted

Watch that you don't get your vagus nerve stimulated. I went into AF after having my aortic valve replaced. After being back in sinus rhythm for a year after cardioversion I had a colonoscopy and the probe stimulated the vagus nerve and put me back into AF. Another cardioversion but after a rectal examination of my prostate the vagus nerve was again stimulated and briefly back in AF until a beta blocker kicked in.

Now for reason unknown I have been back in AF for the past twelve days but not with a very high heart rate.

• Posted

I think that is probably the reason for mine this time as my 'indigestion/reflux'  has been really bad . 
    • Posted

Thankyou ffor your reply but I really want to know of anyone who hasn't had afib for a year and if their gp agreed with them coming off anticoagulants. Hope all goes well for you 😊
    • Posted

I stopped Warfarin three months after after my cardioversion in 2012 due to joint pains and went back to aspirin. My GP said that I was his third patient that week to stop it. I  took it again from December 2013 until about three months after my next cardioversion in March 2014.
    • Posted

I assumed as you mentioned a weight problem that you would have been prescribed them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.