Atrophic Vaginitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everybody I have just come across this site and have found it very intresting. I have suffered for year's (I am now 56) with what I can only discribe as thrush and cystitic symptoms with out the discharge. I have had many swabs and water samples tests over the year's which normally come back normal, I was on HRT for over 5yrs after a total hysterectomy and stopped them about 4yrs ago. The symptoms just seem to flare up and I end up suffering with anx/dep which I am sure is brought on by my symptoms but then exculates. I am at present using Vagifem pesserys twice a week but still getting symptoms. I am going to try a canaston pessery tonight as I am getting desparate. I was at hospital last week for a follow up check after proplapse and vault lift operation and I mention my problem there but all they said was they couldn't see anything. Has anyone else experienced anx/dep with this condition. Sorry for going on but I feel like I'm going mad, and that no one believes me they put it down to anx/dep which I know dose make symptoms seem worse. :cry:

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi All, I copied this from a site about the use of amiitriptyline for some bladder problems. I hope I have not broken any rules by doing this.I have had bladder problems since my late forties (am now in fifties) had cystoscopy and couldn't find anything wrong, Dr said it might be thinning walls of bladder due to menopause but HRT made no difference. Then recently I was given amitriptyline for fibromyalgia and slept through the whole night without having to get up to pee. I actually decided not to keep taking the tablets as they were making me drowsy but if you read below you can see why it might work for some people.

It works in this situation by blocking receptors called cholinergic or muscarinic receptors that are found on the surface of muscle cells in the wall of the bladder. This prevents a chemical called acetylcholine from acting on these receptors. Acetylcholine acting on these receptors normally causes the muscle in the bladder wall to contract, and the bladder to empty. By reducing this, amitriptyline helps the muscle in the bladder wall to relax. This reduces unstable, involuntary contractions of the bladder, and thereby increases the capacity of the bladder to hold urine. This in turn reduces the need to pass urine. When used for this purpose, amitriptyline should generally only be used for a maximum of three months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.