Atypical flare?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been having new and strange symptoms that are not normal for me with my fibromyalgia so after much hesitation I decided to go to the doctor to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister. I was a bit concerned about MS because many of my symptoms matched.

Well my doctor made me feel like an absolute hypochondriac. He actually laughed and talked about people thinking they have conditions when they don't. I was so embarrased. He said all my symptoms were probably fibromyalgia (numbness, tingling, nerve pains, overwhelming fatigue, balance problems, co-ordination etc). But the thing is I don't have muscle tenderness at all, and these symptoms like I said are not typical for me. I've had fibromyalgia for years (diagnosed for the past four) and it just didn't seem normal.

Is it just fibro and I'm over reacting. Do you guys get atypical flares like this with a whole batch of new symptoms?

I feel I must be going crazy here and that really I'm just not a strong enough person to get on with my life like everyone keeps telling me to. sad

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I should add that I have had another bloodtest and he did refer me on to a neuro just to be safe but I don't want to go now I feel I must just be overreacting...
  • Posted

all the above symptoms are typical of fibro  these symptoms come and go  i have all the above but not in the early days , try not to worry hun your doc is proberly right

fibro has at my last count 26 symptoms when you have a flare you can have any of them flare up even if you have not had them before . 

your doctor is out of order making you feel bad but iv come across many of those in my time . .lol

• Posted

Hi Alli

Don't let your So called doctor put you down. I have had Years of the that! She of these people vam only understand what they have read or been ysigjt. They have no imagination or empathy.

If the medical proffession only had such people no sptoms would be diagnosed and no new cures of at least meds that help.

Fortunately they are not all like your doctor so dismiss h from your thoughts and life.find another Doctor or politely ask for another opinion and do telll him how he made you feel.he had no right to do that.

Chin up, there are people who care and those who understand

Xx

• Posted

Hi Ali

Typical of a doctors response.  I was made to feel like I was making up my pains. I actually sat with my doctor and then burst out crying, this was over 20 yrs ago, as he said to me the pains are all in my head.

Fibro for many sufferers comes and goes and flare ups can differ from person to person. You are not going crazy as we have all been there. 

Please don't let your doctor put you off......go and get your blood test. It's for your peace of mind.

Useful knowledge can always be found on this forum.  Keep us posted with your findings.

Take care and treat every day as a NEW day !  wink x

• Posted

Hi Ali, I queried MS and my GP asked me why I thought I may have it as I had problems with my moving my leg, numbness, tingling and problems with my bladder. I have had an MRI which is clear. Fibro presents with a multitude of symptoms especially with nerve involvement. It can be very worrying when a flare presents with new symptoms but that is fibro; it always surprises us. Try not to worry tho' and don't be disheartened by your GP's reaction.

• Posted

Hello ali,

Sorry to hear of your experience with Doc. I would say change the Doc if possible, it is so important to have a good relationship with him. I am sure he is right tho, many people do think they have something - the curse of the Internet! Do not be embarassed - you are not the only one.

It sounds like you don't have the right support from family anf friends, which does not help your state of mind. I am sure you are not going crazy, and with the right help you can be a strong enough person. I wish you well

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Hello Anne,  Im 38, female and i was just wondering because i have bad back pain, top and bottom of back and shoulder. but i also get pain in the right breast, normailly on the side which normailly makes its way to my back.  I dont know what i have tho.

thank you.

• Posted

I have to say I have all the symptoms you are experiencing and I just think it must be the fibromyalgia.    It is hard to deal with people telling you to get on with your life when all you need is support.    

• Posted

i find that our condition is not excepted by some of the medical proffesion and even less excepted by others who dont suffer 

its always the case of pull yourselve to gether attitude 

it really hurts me as i like others with this condition are not liars the pain how ever its caused is real nearly everyone iv spoken to on here have been active and the go sort of people untill illness or trumer hit them and they are left with fibro/ME .all want is support and understanding 

theres times i could just sit and cry the pain is that bad ,

i and others really dont want to be like this we just want our lives back 

if i have another 30/40yrs in me then i would gladly give up 10yrs of it to have a quality of life  

thats all we want quality of life

• Posted

I had a similar response from a doctor too.  I have MS and Lupus in my family but this was dismissed as "not relevant". Eventually this particular doctor went on maternity leave and the new one diagnosed fibro and discharged me with a piece of paper with "fibromyalgia" written on it and instructed me to do my own research and make sure I had positive thoughts otherwise I wouldn't bother to get out of bed.  I get different symptoms virtually every day. It is very easy to put everything down to fibro but if you are concerned ask for a second opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.