Averting oestrogen cream

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering really bad joint pain for about 5 years now. I also was found to have atrophy and was prescribed this cream. Is anybody on it and what is is like? I have been using Replens as I am a bit worried about HRT. I have been told that HRT can help joint pain as you are low on oestrogen does anybody have any advice on this please?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that should say Ovestin
  • Posted

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but I am hoping that we will have some ladies reply with some good words of wisdom! I plan to follow this discussion. 

I may have to introduce the product you are on into my life or some form of Estrogen if my dryness/atrophy doesn't get better. I'm 49 and hormones are crashing fast. I have started with the over the counter progesterone and will see where my dryness is at the month 3 marker. No amount of lubrication will change the situation (yes it helps with sex life)...as the lubrication does not "restore'. I just joined the Atrophic Vaginitis group to start educating myself on the options (yes you can try Vitamin E and Coconut Oil yada, yada - but again - non restorative from others' experiences)  sad I'm learning I am going to have to be very proactive about the vaginal dryness or I may looking at constant UTI's down the road, prolapse and other very unsettling symptoms. 

I have just started having the join paint in June; again when this all started to change. Everything cracks and aches days leading up to my period (If I have one) and into the next week - all when my Estrogen is at the bottom. I am beginning to think I may have to the the Bio-identical Hormone Therapy or start the Birth Control Pill. Take care, Louisa and thank for sharing your experience. 

• Posted

Hi Louisa!

I'm in the U.S. and I use an estrogen cream called Estrace for my AV, I also have bladder and a bit of rectal prolapse. It's been a year since I started the cream and it's, for me, amazing. I was suffering very bad yeast infections, BV, bladder infections, heavy feeling like everything was trying to fall out. It took several months to finally be diagnosed, I was convinced it was all the harsh meds to clear up those infections was what the problem was so I used all the over the counter stuff, Replens, Coconut Oil, Vit. E, you name it and I tried it, those are only "band aides", because the real issue is crashing hormones. My Gyno told me that the reason I was having bladder issues is because the bladder depends on estrogen and I guess she was right, I haven't had a UTI since I started the cream. So I started the cream, after much agonizing over it, and then went to pelvic floor physical therapy to learn the correct way to do kegel exercises and others that help strengthen my pelvic floor. The results in that area are amazing, not like when I was a youngster but as close as I'm going to get being in menopause (tech post menopause since I had a hysto in 2001 but kept my ovaries). As far as the topical creams go, very little is absorbed into your system, I have a history of fibroid tumors and breast cancer in the family and my doc's (heart, GP, Gyno, and Oncologist) all said it's very safe to use, even in women with active cancer (depending on the cancer). I've never tried oral hormones bc my doctors don't think those would be safe with my history. 

As far as joint pain, it has done nothing for that, I'm not sure what will help with that to be honest. I'll be 51 soon and it seems there's a new ache every morning. My fingers are the worst, some mornings it takes me a few minutes to be able to bend them then I have to massage them. I'm on several meds for my heart and high blood pressure along with anxiety meds, so I'm limited in what I can take. I rely on Tylenol and that usually helps along with exercise, as much as I hate it LOL. 

Good Luck! Hope you find something that helps!

• Posted

Hi Gig I Thank you so much for your comments it has actually made me decide to give Ovestin a try. I really didn't know that low Oestrogen could cause bladder problems. My joint pain I control with meds from my GO, but sometimes it's quite bad. I also have the hand problems also knee . Mine all started with with menopause.

Hope you continue to find good benefits.

• Posted

let me know how it goes.. it's not an over night fix. I started out using 1 gram a night for 2 weeks. Then went to twice a week. I'm now down to a half gram twice a week. I also use a pea size amount on my vulva and concentrate around the urethra. All my tissue plumped back up like it should be and the color returned to normal. I no longer need lubrication for sex, my boyfriend says theres a huge noticeable difference since using the cream. Don't get discouraged, it'll take about a month or so, depending on how your tissues are. I noticed a difference after the first week. But we're all different.

Keep us posted of your progress!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.