Avoiding everything

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi.  Just wondering if anybody else avoids phone calls and dr appointments and anything else when they are depressed?  Am I just avoiding anything that could cause anxiety (self preservation)?  Am I the only one that does this?

1 like, 22 replies

Report / Delete

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello

I still avoid the telephone or dealing with making appointments and getting refills for my prescriptions My Wife controls my drug intake, although I never miss any appointments as I know from experience the problems no shows can have to General Practice and their Patients needing those blocked appointments.

Yes I know how you may feel, sad to say life is full of things we are frightened or anxious to do, we need to be able to control our concerns and use coping techniques to help us move on.

We also need to be consistent attending appointments as your GP needs to keep an eye on your conditions and the taking of your medications in case there needs to be any changes to your Treatment Plan

Good Luck

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply bob.  Its good to know I am not the only one who does that.  My husband is the social one and I'm known as his wife.  Lol.  Which is fine.  I like it that way.  It's hard though, when he wants to go to cookouts or weddings etc and I look for every excuse to get out of it.  I was like that a lot even before I was diagnosed.  Even though I don't work outside the home and my husband does, I usually manage to get him to make phone calls I don't want to.  If I do go anywhere with him, I always feel awkward.  And then he will ask me if I am okay.  Anyways, thanks for listening.  I just need someone to talk to sometimes.  I haven't been to cbt lately.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

2chr

Sometimes with mental health problems we are in some form of control with our Depression, that can last over an extended period. We then drop the hypothetical box of pins and we begin  not to have the strength or inclination to bend down and pick them up. This is when we cannot cope once more and life becomes  more difficult and we need help to put our conditions to rest once more.

In my case I went into a Remission with my Chronic Health condition and I had a flare where I became unable to catch up with my life once more. At this time I am in the situation where I have just finished a period of active support, although I still feel very unsettled and tentative in my activities.

We all need to understand most sufferers will go through periods of calm, then something over time will catch us unaware and make us ill once more. Then it becomes up to us to arrange support and look for activities that will help us once enter a period of mental health remission

Even when we will generally need a tentative or positive push to move on with our activities and hobbies. Never forget we can and do become more positive given time. We need to understand services are there to help us move on. Even with my condition I can balk at suggestions and fight back at people who wish to help, although when push comes to shove we should appreciate any help given. We all need to  understand negativity is part of depression and we have to accept various suggestions and actions to make us well again.

Try not to dwell to much on the negative, look for positive outlets and push yourself into interesting activities, a period of habit and positive thoughts will take over once more.

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you so much for that.  I needed to hear that.  And so funny how I just replied to someone else's post about breaking the bad habit of going to those negative places.  

I really do need to make an effort to find those positive outlets and interesting activities.  I'm always saying, I need a hobbysmile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No you are not the only person to do this as I do it and more.  I have been plunged into the 'I am worth nothing thoughts' this morning when trying (and failing) to get a doctors appointment today.  I avoid it like the plague when I can coz it always has this effect on me.  I wish I had some answers.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

No, your not the only one. Most of the time, I avoid everything from interaction with others to appointments. I used to be a leader but my son passed away in 2004. Since then I have cascaded into a life of extreme solitude. I don't talk to my kids either. My daughter just had a baby and I could not bring myself to go to the hospital to see him.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I just dont want to see friends anymore or do anything.  I would like to have a medication to help me. Do you have anything?  There must be something out there which works.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

What have you used - can you tell if any one is better than the other? I am at a loss and wondering if its something else ive got when the med isnt working.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've used several different kinds.  Sertraline has been the most consistent for me.  I think everyone reacts diffently.  So maybe just trial and error.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

no no you aren’t alone, I do this too.  Maybe it’s because the appointments just drain us and we have no energy left to do these things.  I told my husband if a friend of my late Mams rings can you say I am out.  I know it sounds horrible but I’m just at the end of the road of acting upbeat and acting normal x 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I guess your antidepressant isnt working either as you seem like me.  They gave me mirtazapine but its not helped.  What have you tried.  All this pretending to be normal is taking its toll on me.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yesss.  I hate that I'm like that.  My husband does not understand.  I literally just want to curl up on the couch and watch tv 24/7.   

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I think we know that it isn’t maybe like we would be like if we weren’t so down or that we aren’t worthy of having a good time or that anyone would want to bother us, well that’s how I feel anyway.  
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up