Awaiting lab results, next steps - thyroid? diabetes? peri?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My gyn ordered A1C, FSH, LH, Vitamin B12, and thyroid panel this past week based on my dry mouth, fatigue, and sugar cravings and weight gain (25 pounds since ovary removal in March 2016).  There are thyroid problems and Type 2 diabetes in my immediate family, but she did say it could all be due to hormonal activity typical of peri.  I've wondered about blood sugar and thyroid for a long time due to family history and was glad that she agreed to order these for me.

If anyone here has been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes or thyroid issues, I'd be interested to hear what the symptoms were that prompted you to go to the doctor for testing prior to diagnosis.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz9305

I have an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed 10 years ago (although I had symptoms for a few years before diagnosis, just didn't realise what they were).

My symptoms were extreme tiredness after even a small amount of activity, that didn't go away quickly when resting (e.g. 30 minutes weeding in the garden would take me 2 or 3 days to recover, it was embarrassing).   I was always exhausted, and could have slept all day if I'd been given the chance.  I was permanently cold - it felt like the cold seeped into my bones and wouldn't come out - I used to regularly have really hot baths just to get warm again.   I got very low mood and put weight on which I couldn't lose very easily), and my skin got very dry.   However what forced me to see my GP was that my periods went haywire and I ended up bleeding three weeks out of four.   GP thought I had fibroids (as at that point I hadn't mentioned all the other symptoms, just the bleeding) and he said "I'll just check your thyroid in case it's that".

I've been taking levothyroxine ever since, gradually with an increase in dose as my thyroid continues to pack up, and I feel much better but I have never felt quite right since.  My energy is just not there any more and when I hit that brick wall in the evening I have to stop, regardless of what else needs doing.

Having an under active thyroid and going through peri menopause is a bit of a challenge!   However, as far as autoimmune diseases go, underactive thyroid is probably one of the least debilitating ones.

I hope that helps you.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Carolyn, thank you for explaining your thyroid symptoms.  I am lethargic and even the smallest task leaves me feeling fatigued.  I do hit a brick wall every evening; I work full-time and am completely exhausted when I come home.  On many evenings, I can barely cook something to eat.  That is interesting about your periods.  Mine are anywhere from 15-35 days apart.  I had s fibroid diagnosed last year.  We'll see what happens.  I relate when you say you still don't feel quite right and it scares me to think about not feeling at least a little better someday.  Best wishes to you as well.

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Prior to being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (too much hormone), I had shakiness, sweating, racing heart, chest discomfort, anxiety, and weakness.  I had my thyroid eventually removed and those symptoms resolved for a decade or so.  Now, I am perimenopausal and sometimes experience those symptoms again.  Thyroid symptoms and perimenopausal symptoms really overlap in my opinion.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thanks, Rachel!  That's what my gynecologist said, too.  It's so hard to know what's going on with so many symptoms.  Having an ovary removed made it all worse.  I appreciate hearing about your experience.

• Posted

Someone at my gyn office put some of my lab results online.  They didn't label what was what but listed ranges on two of them.  So far, it looks like TSH and A1C results are both normal.  Still waiting on the rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.