Awaiting TKR on my left knee

Posted , 6 users are following.

Am patiently waiting for knee replacement op in NHS Scotland after being told last January that I had Osteo Arthritis in my left knee and that my cartilage is badly worn so op is only way to correct the problem. My frustration is still can't get a date and told the wait will be extended again as NHS are not doing any elective surgery over Christmas and New Year.  Reading about this op it seems that exercise afterwards is the main way back to recovery, but as each day goes past now, my right knee is getting worse and they have not even looked at that, as when walking with my stick I am putting most of my weight on my right side to take pain off my left knee. Advised cycling was good exercise to prepare for op, but had to stop that due to Prostate problems and also waiting for op to have that removed.  Have tried knee supports with little success, anything else I can try  ?.   Afraid the waiting time is getting me down and can't afford Private treatment as already committed to dental implants in two weeks time. The joys of getting old !.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am having the replacement in dec but for 2 years had ostenil injections which are helpful and last a few months 
  • Posted

Hi tractor man, sorry your having to wait so long, its quite a long process by the looks of things, maybe you could get a set of crutches just to use when your on your feet more so your taking the pressure off your better knee, it sounds extreme I know but sometimes you have to do what's best at the time.

• Posted

I used a TENS machine a lot both before and after surgery. Might be worth a try as only 20 pounds.

Do they have a cancellation list you could go on?

Mind you, if you are having dental implants it would be best to have about six months between teeth and knee any way I would have thought, due to risk of infection. ..? have they said anything about that?

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks for your comments most appreciated. Have asked for cancellations and will go anywhere, but as on blood thinners have to have 2 clear days before op. It is my Prostatitis which can flare up with infections so have to hope it is OK when they are ready.  Will investigate TENS and read your blogs Jenny plus ask my Dr about injections tomorrow.  As I am new to this section I will do some reading up.
    • Posted

Hi I'm in agreement that if u are having dental implants you want be allowed to have the op for a while, could well be 6 months months, also surely you will need to be off blood thinners to have implants as well, I might be wrong but I would check, why are you on them

• Posted

Am on blood thinners for life as had 2 Pulmonary Embolisms, and any treatment such as tooth extraction or mole removal mean being off them for 2 days prior, so the same for implants.   Also given antibiotics to take for 5 days as having had Sepsis 3 years ago, am now wary of anything.

Snoozy.  Am using Active 650 support when knee is bad, it is the best one I have tried. I have an electric bike to avoid too much strain, and use good padding on seat area, but if prostate acts up, I have to avoid cycling then.  I just take each day as it comes and see what appointment letters come in the post.  Also I am a volunteer Simulated Patient at our local training hospital for Doctors, Nurses and Pharmacists and that keeps me active and learn a lot about different medical conditions and it gets me out with a purpose and gives something back to NHS.

• Posted

I was told 11 years ago that I needed a knee replacement after having an arthroscopy but because of my age they wouldn't do it so I had to change my lifestyle to function as long as I have done. I took up cycling which really did help but if your having prostate problems I can imagine that cycling might be a bit painful. Why not try and get hold of an elliptical trainer you could probably find a cheap one on eBay. Swimming is supposed to be good for knees. I also got a knee support called active 650 it's the best support I have ever used it was about £30 but worth every penny. Anyway I hope you get a date soon keep us posted when you finally do x 

• Posted

Supertractorman,

Good for you for preparing. I looked up the post op pt exercises and started those  month prior to bilateral tkr. Made all the difference in the early stages of recovery.

That is my recommendation.

Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.