Awesome Information!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had my TKR done just one week ago, so I'm the ultimate newbie at all this. I had so many questions, then I found this forum. WOW! All the answers I was looking for... and even some answers that I didn't know I needed. confused 

I'll be hanging around in the days and weeks to come. Thanks!

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Be prepared to hang around for months. Every recovery is different. Don't compare your recovery with that of  others, don't worry if you think others are doing better than you, you will be doing better than some others. Do your physio and exercise as often as possible, but don't over do it. Use your medication to control pain especially before physio and exercise, use ice and elevate your leg. Come here and ask if you have worries or problems we will help if we can. Good luck remember it does get better in time.

• Posted

Hi Cheleskar,

Welcome aboard, newbie!  Yes, this is an outstanding site...had my first tkr last August, second one this past Monday, so I feel your pain! Lol.  Learned a lot of things that helped me out during both my surgeries, the people on this forum are helpful, caring and full of information...don't be afraid to ask anything, someone will have the answer!  

Take care and just remember to have patience, the recovery is a long tough one, but you'll do fine.

Keep in touch, many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

This forum will be your lifeline for the next year.  I had my TKR 15 months ago.  I thought I was prepared but was sorely mistaken.  Finding the honest, caring people here got me through the worst of time.  You will find someone here at all times to vent to, yell at or just plain scream.  Make sure you ice, elevate, take your meds and do your exercises religiously.  You will get invaluable info from CHICO MARX and OLD FATGUY. Both have led this forum and have all the answers. Search for them.  Actually, I am sure you will see a response from both of them.  

Be well, stay hydrated and eat Girl Scout cookies.

Ellie

• Posted

Nooooooooooooooooo....................  Instant diabetic coma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Those kids are EVIL!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Cheleskar,

Welcome aboard, newbie!  Yes, this is an outstanding site...had my first tkr last August, second one this past Monday, so I feel your pain! Lol.  Learned a lot of things that helped me out during both my surgeries, the people on this forum are helpful, caring and full of information...don't be afraid to ask anything, someone will have the answer!  

Take care and just remember to have patience, the recovery is a long tough one, but you'll do fine.

Keep in touch, many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Congratulations on your new knee!

Read around this forum, both answers you get and older posts!

Are you in UK or elsewhere?

Best wishes to you for your recovery!

You can choose older posts by picking through the page numbers shown on the KNEE PROBLEMS main page. Look to the right of the page subtitle "All discussions in this group" and you will see page 1 but flick on the arrow to see other previous pages also. You may have worked this out already.

My advice; Try not to make any judgements about how long things should take, even if other people are. Everyone heals at different rates and everyone's bodies are different. Listen to the professionals involved in your care and demand that YOU are the centre of the process... Don't panic in the early weeks and obsess about your range of motion, but just keep nudging you knee along gently and moving it regularly, as well as icing and elevating. All exercises are very hard in the first few weeks, so be patient.

Expect and receive all the help and support you can, and devote yourself to the healing process by putting yourself first. Helplessness is a common feeling but can be combated by getting all the support you are able. While self determination is vital, this is not the time to struggle forwards insisting on independence.

REST and pacing oneself are always important but especially in the first few weeks. It is vital not to push yourself too hard but just gently nudge things along while listening to your body, which is doing a lot of work even when you are not moving at all! Energy drain is normal. You will feel very tired,

There is so much on this forum you may not want anymore, though you may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the one year mark.

I am mega happy with my knee ...great to have a mobile life again!

• Posted

I'm in the US - in Minnesota, where there's still about 4" of snow on the ground, but today it was 40 degrees, so my husband was outside riding his bicycle. We have some bad spring fever going on.....

• Posted

Hi Cheleskar,

Great advice so far. This site really helped me about 18 months ago with my first TKR, and again now after my second one 14 weeks ago.

Patience, someone mentioned above, and also perseverance. There WILL be bad days too. Try not measure progress daily, it will drive you mad.

Exercises, Exercise, Exercise do them as per your schedule. Get that bend going.

Also RICE

Rest

Ice

Compress

Elevate.

Great experience here. But remembe we are not doctors nor physios. If you run into a real problem go and see the professionals.

Best of Luck,

Alan

• Posted

Welcome!??

We were all newbies at one time! You are in good company!

We learn from one another and pass on info to others who may need it. Found this site two weeks into my first TKR in June 2015 and have been here ever since. My second TKR was October 2015 and I was visiting the site while in the hospital. VERY COMFORTING to have so many people from all over the world who KNEW what I was going through!

Come here often!

Sending lots of good wishes your way tonight!🤗

• Posted

Click my name and then "See All Discussions"...there are 29 to choose from...  Welcome to the club, "Kneebie"...

• Posted

"Kneebie" is my favorite new word now! 

I read that you played hockey for 45+ years... wow! My husband and I are avid hockey & NHL fans (Go Minnesota Wild!) Did you play professionally? 

We are part of a season ticket owners group, with one last game to attend at the end of the month. It's my goal to get there... even if they have to figure out a way to cart me into the arena!

• Posted

I reckon if you love hockey you should google All Ireland Hurling and watch a video clip.
    • Posted

Started playing on the streets of Brooklyn when I was 7...metal wheels.  We couldn't afford real pucks so we soaked rolls of fabric electrical tape in buckets of water for a few days followed by a few more days in the freezer.  Slid GREAT on asphalt.  Goalie with no mask and no cup (didn't even know what that was at that age).  Transitioned to ice.  Played goal for Fordham University's club team 67-69 (they had no NCAA team).  Just continued goal and defense in club and league hockey ice and roller all my adult life...mostly ice on Sunday mornings at 2 am on outdoor rinks when it was -5 degrees.  No matter...just loved to play.

I'd still be playing in an over 70 league but the knees went, then the hip.  Now it's the TKR plus four spine ops (two fusions).  However...against doctors' wishes, I'm determined to get all my strength back, obtain a DonJoy Defiance brace (which will not allow the knee to twist) and at least do some casual skating...nothing dramatic and certainly no hockey.  But I miss the skating...so effortless...just gliding along...

Man's game?  Oh yeah...  No one stops playing because their pinkie finger is hurt or your face has some blood on it.  You never miss a shift off the bench or come out of goal...NEVER!!!  Just loved the game.

Best moment?  Mid-50's playing in my last roller league before my knees went.  Got dressed early to warm up...mask on...full grey beard underneath...adult league...lots of 18-20 y/o hotshots.  Won the game 3-2.  Locker room...took my mask off...  One of the kids looked at me and proclaimed to the room: "DAMN!!!  I just lost to my grandfather!!!"  That was good...

I'll check out "hurling"...hope it's not a league to see how far people can vomit after a pub crawl...

• Posted

Check it out. The OLD sterotype of the Irish is truly gone.

To be honest Chic, I find that last comment offensive. I'd prefer not to be steroids typed like that on linew. It verges on racism.

No hard feelings.

Alan

• Posted

TYPOS CORRECTED

Hi Chico,

Hope you are well.

To be honest Chico I find that last comment offensive. I'd prefer not to be stereo typed like that on line. It verges on racism.

No hard feelings.

God Bless,

Alan

• Posted

Great game, my uncle played for Galway many years ago.
    • Posted

WHOA! Hurling is AMAZING! This was the expression on our faces when we watched some clips: eek

It's like baseball/lacrosse/hockey/soccer - all rolled into one! It covers 3 of our 4 most favorite games (the only baseball we like to watch is minor leagues, where it's really more about the fun than the game). 

Last year we got our first MLS soccer team here in Minnesota - MN United Football Club (their nickname is the Loons.) I'd never watched soccer before, but my husband played all through school. I went to one game and was instantly hooked! It works out well, because soccer season starts just as hockey is wrapping up. Sadly, I don't think we'll make it to the Stanley Cup finals this year, so I'll say goodbye to the ice guys and hello to the guys on the pitch.

It's something to watch while I'm icing my knee, anyway!

• Posted

I'm always telling people that hockey players are WAY tougher than American football players. I've seen guys take pucks to the face, lose a tooth, go to the locker room to get the gash on their chin stitched up, and come back out to play.. because that's just what they do! 

• Posted

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just watched some hurling on YouTube.  People who play hockey are freaking tough.  Australian Rules Football players are downright crazy, along with rugby guys.  Hurlers are at a completely different level...certifiably INSANE!!!  Are there any penalties?  Geez, these people literally clobber each other constantly!!!  Three thoughts:

1. They have plenty of fights, just like hockey.  But unlike the ice game where we drop our gloves and sticks, these madmen go nuts with anything to any part of the body!!!  Groin, head...nothing is out of bounds...with heads, sticks, knees, feet...  It looked like UFC!!!

2. If that ball (which looks like an MLB baseball) is that hard, then you have to be insane standing in goal with ZERO PROTECTION on...especially on a penalty shot!!!  94 MPH with no padding?  Sorry, that takes a whole lot of crazy.  Plus, except for an occasional helmet, NOBODY wears any protective gear at all!!!

3. The dentists in Ireland must make a helluva lot of money every Monday morning...

Bravo, Al.  Thank you for making me aware of a truly genteel gentleman's sport.  Like to see it in the Olympics...Ireland vs. England.  There will be plenty of ambulances standing by.  Geez...that's one insane sport...plus kids AND WOMEN play it too...OMG...

• Posted

Wow.

He must've been really good to make the Galway team. The current All-Ireland Champions.

A sport I only played a a very young kid. I'm on the east coast, close the UK, as my friends in the west often remind me when they beat us 'You were rared by the BBC'. Referring to the fact that BBC and other UK Telvision was available here (on the east coast) for many many years before it reached the West Coast. So they didn't have the soccer influence etc. and only played either Hurling or Gaelic Football. I can remember having BBC since I was a kid, the West had only one Irish channel RTE 1, hence the West coast is much more Irish and speak more Gaelic however that is changing with the huge increase of 'Gaelic language only' primary and secondary schools. It is great to hear our kids and teenagers converse in their native tongue.

'Sona Lá Féile Pádraig' (Happy St. Patrick's Day) ???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.