Azithromycin

Posted , 9 users are following.

Diagnosed about seven years ago with Bronchiectasis after asking to be referred to hospital as sick of just being fobbed off with antibiotics by the doctor. 5 lots at the last visit. CT scan showed bronchiectasis caused by childhood Bronchitis. Kept emergency pack at home but recently different bugs in phlegm so have had to have different antibiotics. Am allergic to Penicillin. Last year had 3 or 4 infections in 4 months so hospital have given me Azithromycin to take alternate days 3 times a week. Have taken twice and have really bad back pain between shoulder blades. Felt a little unsteady the other day was told about side effects of liver and deafness,. Anyone else had any problems. Want to stop taking but frightened.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am consistently getting reports from my sputum samples that there is E.Coli and Strep pneumoniae present on looking into this the E.coli is almost impossible to get rid of is this true
    • Posted

Mo there are lots of so-called impossible to get rid of bugs. Ask your doctor - and don't believe everything you hear.  I have got permanent pseudomonas these days but I can still live a pretty normal life. 

Don't worry - ask!

• Posted

They're bacteria Mo. Bacteria cause infections and this is one strain that loves bronchiectasis patients. Bit tricky to get rid of - lots of antibiotics aren't much use against it.
    • Posted

Not sure about e coli hun but strep p is a gram positive pest and although it it nasty it is easier to treat than the gram negative pests eg. HI and pseudomonas.  If you are colonised with them they can sometimes just stick around hiding and not cause probs and then sometimes they like to play out and cause havoc.

cx

• Posted

Hi mo. I,m really sorry to hear your having problems with the drugs, I found taking natural yogurt helped a lot with the pain, I was sure it was indigestion as they are very hard on the gut, it's the lesser of two evils if you stop taking them the infections come back and if you continue it's another problem with the side effects. I continue to do posteral draining everyday to help keep the chest clear and eat as healthy as possible, drink very little alchahol and don't smoke which I,m sure you don't. Take care. Xxx
    • Posted

I have been burping a lot recently and I suppose it is about since I started to take the tablets. I presume this could also be the cause of the pain. What do you do for postural draining. I find the breathing exercises not very good that the physio gave me. They don't produce much.
    • Posted

Hi Mo. So are you still on the Azithromycin then?. Hope you are. Yours John razz
    • Posted

Hospital advised to stop for a week and see how I go they don't think it has anything to do with medication though so we will see.

Maureen

• Posted

Hi yes I have just started the azythromycin again yesterday. The last time I took them I had problems which I have again. Pain in between the shoulder blades. But the same thing again a stabbing pain under right ear. and last night a dull ache below ear all night and quite tender to touch. This is exactly what happened when I first tried these tablets. I thought it was in my mind as they had told me there could be problems in that area. But no not in my mind at all. Will once again have to make contact and go back to square one. I also started to take Carbocisteine to assist with the release of gunge. Haven't seen anyone else commenting on Azythromycin side effects

• Posted

Hi mo. We bronchiectasis types aren't fobbed off with antibiotics. It's the only real treatment. Some suit and some don't. I can't take any tetracycline family antibiotics for example. All antibiotics have some side effects. I get stomach cramps with azithromycin but it one of very few antibiotics which clear my infections. I have had two in four weeks! I don't usually have them so close together these days.

I have heard carbocysteine is very effective but haven't taken it myself.

• Posted

I pile three pillows on top of each other and lay on side over them, 20 minutes each side to help bring up the phlem, I find it works for me, I have a rest afterwards. I get pains under my right ribs and down my right side on my back which I think I due to having a lobectomy on that side. I hope you can manage the posteral draining mo, the longer the phlem sits there the more infected it becomes. Take care and try not to worry. 😊😊
    • Posted

Thanks Joy will give it a go!! xx

• Posted

Anything to make life better mo, it's a difficult disese and not taking the antibiotics when there needed is better than struggling with the infection, I also gave ulcerative colitis and diverticulitis which is aggravated by all the antibiotics, I find yogurt helps a lot with the gut problems. Keep well 😊😊
    • Posted

I am complaining and realise I shouldn't when I see what you are coping with. Going to get some natural yoghurt today hope I can start taking them again but will wait and see not liking the pains I was getting. Thanks for your comments. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.