Back again with more knee questions!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everybody, I hope you all are doing much better than last week.  After my last visit to the forum I thought it was better to wait a little more perhaps till next year hmmmm... my knees are giving me hard times and last few days made think this coming October will be the month I will do it (had enough)

I have a question for those who have done it some time ago; is it true that you can't rest on your knees because it hearts? if so what sort of pain is it? Regards Clem

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know the feeling of wanting to put surgery off. I was so anxious, but had my left TKR this past December . I too, found that the winter was a good time to have it for me. I live in the states, northeast , and being in house during the bad weather was not a sacrifice. People said that if I went out it would be more dangerous in that weather, but I managed and it was better than missing out on the good weather in spring and summer.

i have been able to get onto my knees on a mat at my exercise class, in order to get up from the floor. I have not found it to be painful. You feel it, it's more like a stiffness or tightness that I feel.

what is it about being on ur knees that worries you?

• Posted

Hi Damy, I love photography and for years I've done weddings which requires kneeling down to take the right angle ( I have doubts I will be able to do this after the op) I am a very active person and I am always doing something that requires using you body. I know at the moment I find very difficult to just about anything but I am worry that after the op I will be worst off.   would I?
    • Posted

You won't be able to kneel as well, but everything else will be way better, bending your knees, walking, everything.

If you can't do these without pain, go ahead and get them done.

I am so pleased with both of mine, apart from a little morning stiffness, which soon goes, the feeling of walking without any pain is great!

• Posted

What about one of those small collapsible stepladders, then you can either rest one foot on a rung for support, or sit on one of the rungs. either that or a box with thick sponge on top for padding.  Going one step further, you can make something up (like a cushion) out of a thick sponge or something similar to kneel on. It is just the hard surface that hurts when you kneel.
    • Posted

I figured u did something that required being on your knees. 

I am 5 months post op and just got down on first one knee and then the operated one, and I really believe u will be able to do this. I can, and I'm not the most athletic person, though I am 72 and active , as far as I exercise and run around during the day doing all sorts of stuff. 

I believe if u do the proper exercises post surgery and get ur rom and bend back , you will be just fine. It sounds like ur in God shape in general, and that helps. Do lots of quad strengthening exercises pre surgery. 

I truly believe that you will not be worse off, quite the opposite. Though the first few months are difficult and u must be conscientious !!! You must plan for the those first few months to rehab and recover. 

Where r u located. I am in the stars, northeast; Boston area. I had pt at home , 3/x week for 4 weeks and then 3// week for 2 months at out patient pt. keep in touch and let us know what u decide😃💁🏻😜

• Posted

You can sleep ....I usually slept with pillows between legs...took my wonderful pills...which made me sleep......is a long recovery I did my Kevin January.......right now....I feel no pain....just a but stiff...but with physical therapy...I feel I'm getting stronger.....please be patient with yourself and don't rush recovery...do the exercises

Starkville...and ice often....and sleep....you Will feel tired....and weak but this is temporary

• Posted

You can sleep ....I usually slept with pillows between legs...took my wonderful pills...which made me sleep......is a long recovery I did my Kevin January.......right now....I feel no pain....just a but stiff...but with physical therapy...I feel I'm getting stronger.....please be patient with yourself and don't rush recovery...do the exercises

...and ice often....and sleep....you Will feel tired....and weak but this is temporary

• Posted

Oops did my TKR
    • Posted

Hi Luz, have you just gone through with it? both? or just one? I have just made up my mind and booked for the 17th October this year ( Spring Time) Iwill have them both in one go.  I will be honest and tell you that if I am doing nothing eg. seating I feel I have no problems, I can also sleep well no pain at all BUT I can't walk downstairs or upstairs or walk on uneven terrain like parks etc. without feeling pain on my joins only on concret footpaths I am OK for little longer. I am totally stranded on my legs. I know everybody have different levels of dealing with pain and I am not sure how I am going to get throught this. I just want to be normal again. Good lack with yours, we'll keep in touch. Clem 
  • Posted

I am months. post op TKR and can kneel with care. I have not yet knelt long enough to weed the garden but can knel for short periods to exercise or pick up something. It does not hurt although it feels differently than my ither knee. Give yourself time, things continue to improve even after six months.

• Posted

Wait as long as you can!! Aside from the problems I had that are VERY UNLIKELY, it's odd to get used to. While walking is fine, I am unable to be on the knee to crawl, get up from the floor, etc. Sometimes it's just odd to have the knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.