Back in the walking boot after plate remova

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I had my plate taken out yesterday and the procedure went well. I was awake and had local freezing. After surgery my surgeon said I will be back in the boot for 16 days untill sutures are removed. I can't take it if to sleep or shower. It seems like a huge step back for me as I just got walking in a shoe with a cane pretty good. Before he said the plate would be removed and then I would be walking in a few days after. Now he wants non wb 3 days and then only partial wb with boot on until June 22.

It has been 6 mo this for me and I just feel I can't take much more of this. I'm normally quite positive but now am pretty depressed.My hopes of enjoying my summer and walking without aid are diminishing. Did anyone else have to be back in boot after hardware removal?

I'm very sore swollen and cranky!!

Margie

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no Margie,

Please don't be depressed! You are now on your way back, to getting your life back! Don't give up now. I've been in pain and not able to walk on my foot for 2 years now. Due to painful plate and screws. I'm scheduled, to have them removed on

June 23th. I can't wait, until this is all over and I can get my life back. I know how you feel!!! But you hang in there!!! My prays are with you to recover fast!!! Bless You. Thank you, Veronica

• Posted

Oh my gosh 2 years, you are a trooper. I just had a really bad day, but I know it will get better. It is so hard to be patient. I wish you all the best with your hardware removal. The procedure itself was pretty easy compared to the original surgery. Let me know how you progress.

Good luck

Margie

• Posted

Thanks for replying back. It is hard being patient, but we have to be. I will let all know how it's goes for me. You hang in there trooper!!!! Thanks Veronica

• Posted

Hi Veronica,

I've been 19 months post op from tib/fib ORIF and still cannot walk. I am also scheduled for hardware removal. One of my biggest problems aside from the pain is I have burning in my foot. Just wanted to see how you made out after hardware removal, and did you experience any burning?

Thanks, MS

• Posted

Hi Margie

So glad you posted.

I was thinking about you today..

I feel your understandable frustration and disappointment

Over having to go back to the boot. I'm sorry. It is a tough journey-and you wouldn't be human if you didn't have bad days- some days it just feels like enough is enough.

I keep getting this infection in my big toe nail - never had one before-I think it is due to all the trauma my body has been through- and compression socks- it is painful - I go on antibiotics- and feel like enough already.

Hopefully we can one day look back and be done with all this- but then- there will probably be something else....

the ups and downs of life.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your toe, I'm sure it is the trauma. Thank you for your support and yes I hope we can look back on this one day.

Take care of yourself!

• Posted

Hi there when was u r first surgery and how u doing after the surgery well it's been 3 month PO got plate and 5 screws how long does it take to recover properly did u walk like before . Can u run or do any other activities . How u doing with the physiotherapist and any medicine u taking while u have plate before

Regards

Toby

• Posted

My original surgery was Dec 16, 2016. I was just starting to walk in a shoe before this second surgery. The plate was painful and was in the way of my ankle moving more naturally. I will be set back for a while, I'm taking Tylenol 3 now.

I will go back to PT in two weeks, doc said it will be aggressive from that point.

• Posted

Are u walking normally like before and pain or swelling bcz I can walk to but still little bit problem with balance but too much swelling and redness if I walk little bit more
  • Posted

Hi Margie,

Similar to you had ankle fusion 18/1 nwb for 6 weeks then moon boot, then 27/4 screws were removed again nwb for 2 weeks I think then back into moon boot. I am now weight bearing and having physio and chiro because I was in the moon boot so long, my hip is now out of alignment. Stay strong if I can get there so can everyone else. I have now had 6 operations on my ankle and I hope this is the last one.

• Posted

It astounds me as to why treatments are different. Most feedback I've had is they won't remove fixation until at least a year is up and then it's a local and no boot or plaster. I'm also worried about removal. 

• Posted

My screws were taken out as they were causing me lots of pain and I had trouble walking for any amount of time. Since they have been removed there is no pain. I think it depends on the surgeon, the patient and the circumstances.
    • Posted

Hi . Thats great to know. I'm having lots of pain from mine also and can't walk on it.

I'm having mine taken out plate & screws on June 23th. Can you walk now? I hope everything goes well for you!

Thanks Again, Veronica

• Posted

How long did it take you to get walking after a trees were removed? When was your surgery originally? Are you walking pain free now and doing regular activities?
    • Posted

Hi Margie,

The original surgery was mid January the screws were taken out late April. I think I was nwb for about a week after screws were removed.  I am now out of the boot 3 weeks, I am walking and don't have much pain in my ankle. It is a long slow process having physio twice a week and also seeing chiropractor as my back and hip are out of alignment. I was told it will take 12 months to fully recover. I wouldn't say I am doing regular activities. I can do the grocery shopping. I can't take the dog for a walk or myself for that matter. Spend a lot of time with ankle elevated to reduce swelling.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Marion!

That is encouraging that you don't have pain , but yes it is such a slow process. Hopefully you'll be walking your dog soon. I really hope I can in a couple of months, my poor baby misses our walks around the pond near our house.

Keep on walking!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.