Back injury, Insurance Claims, Disabilities

Posted , 1 user is following.

A couple years ago, age 18, I was in a car accident as a passenger and suffered a back injury due to the passenger behind me striking my seat. At the time I felt no pain and insisted to the on scene paramedics that I was fine, but was taken to the hospital in an ambulance anyway. On arrival I noticed some discomfort while sitting on the gurney and ER room furniture. I stated this to my doctor but he proceeded to x-ray my chest instead and sent me home with a pat on the back. The next day I woke up sore, could hardly walk, and could not sit normally without severe pain up and down my spine. I returned to a different emergency room that afternoon and requested an x-ray of my lower back. They took images from my hips down and concluded that I had maybe bruised my coccyx and that I would feel better with some stretches and a couple months rest. Trusting the doctors, I decided not to sue my friends insurance and settle with 3 grand as compensation for personal injury. I am now 21 and experience constant pain from morning to night. I have poor insurance and have no returned to a doctor since the accident, mainly because of work and generally not wanting to hear the whole 'give it a few, take a benadryl, and suck it up' spiel. I have quit jobs due to pain preventing me from leaving bed some days. It varies from minor discomfort when sitting, no matter the position, to debilitating to the point that walking is nothing more than a shuffle. I have pain in my hips, coccyx, lower back, and I believe now arthritis in my shoulders. I really don't know where to go from here and am looking for a new doctor. The one I currently have has a whopping 2.5 stars on google. Does anyone know if I can file for disability, re-open my case, or how I can afford some kind of PT with little to no coverage? I've heard the 'it's your well being, it's worth the investment' speech before, but I have literally nothing to invest. Every last penny I have is spoken for before it makes it to my bank account.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.