Back on Citalopram for 3 weeks now stopped again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came off citalopram 10mg (on them 7 years) and propranolol 40mg (10+ years) on 17 December 2016 and the withdrawal effects were pretty awful. All of 2017 has seen me waking with headaches and the dentist confirms I grind my teeth. Thinking maybe Citalopram would help me relax, I asked to be put back on them and for 3 weeks on 20mg (double my previous dose) I have felt dreadful, sweating at night and still had the headaches.  I have since researched Citalopram and see that they can CAUSE bruxism, not alleviate it! I have suffered with teeth grinding for - coincidentally? - 7 years. I had been taking Citalopram for 7 years. Hmmm....

So on 13 December 2017, nearly 3 weeks ago, I stopped Citalopram 20mg and figured as I had only been on them for 3 weeks I didn't need to taper the dose. Everything seemed fine - a diary entry on Xmas Day says No Headaches on waking at last! But in the last 3 days the tension headache is back and always in the right temple area.  The headaches are exactly the same as the ones I suffered after I tapered off them last time. They reduced in severity around February 2017, 3 months after taking the last Citalopram.

Can you get withdrawal symptoms from stopping immediately 20mg Citalopram after only being on them (this time) for 3 weeks? 

Many thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes you can .. especially on 20milligrams...take care sorry your feeling this way..
  • Posted

I'm just looking for some advice I've recently started taking Citalopram 10mg and I'm on day 3 but my throat feels like it's got something down it now what should I do?

• Posted

It's just anxiety..it will pass there are many side effects this Medication may cause you ..this Medication magnifies all your anxieties sleeping within you..take care..but it will pass...don't know how long because everyone is different..but it will pass.

• Posted

Oh ok someone said it could be an allergic reaction to the tablets and they are my second type of anti depressants I've been given since last week

• Posted

You gotta give one ssri time to work ..and go thru all the side effects..if you don't give them at least 8 to 12 weeks you will never know..I did the same thing been a guinea pig to four different ssris..until finally letting celexa settle iam doing alot better... cycling from one ssri to another in such a quick time is not so kind to your body..I had every side effects listed on the leaflet..but I hung on.. reading Katecogs on this forum help alot...take care

• Posted

Oh ok my doctor changed it to Citalopram
    • Posted

Yes celexa=citalopram...just be Patience ..I know it's hard..I finally could say I feel better after 18months on ten milligrams...

• Posted

Hello Ian.    It sounds like you're experiencing discontinuation side effects. 

If the headaches are too severe [debilitating and preventing you from functioning normally] - then you may want to reinstate 20mg until you feel "better" [should take about a week], then reduce to 10mg and take that for a week, then reduce to 5mg for a week, then possibly 2.5mg or 0mg depending upon how you feel [assuming after each drop the side effects annoying but allow you to function].

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.