Back on medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi folks

I'm back on citalopram after about 3 years

Just wondering if I will get the same side effects in my case even worse anxiety and depression for a while before the medication kicked in,

I'm coming up to 2 weeks on 20mg after a week on 10 mg.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Hey. You might be lucky. My experience from the last 7 times of going back on it is that I get the same side effects to varying degrees. This last time was the worst however it did not last as long. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Gary. I am 47 and had my first major episode at 22. Then I had full clinical depression alongside acute anxiety. Not sure why it happened as I was full of life, working on cruise liners. Since then I have had 7 episodes, not of depression but of anxiety. For my first episode I was prescribed Seroxat. Then I moved onto fluroxetine which is more for depression. Recent episodes have been on Citalopram which is more focused on anxiety. Each episode had a cause, normally a change in life circumstance, particularly in job changes. In April my marriage broke up after 20 years and I was made redundant. Hardly surprising I crashed again. One thing I have learnt it that once you suffer from this, it can always lurk in the back ground and can become a default state to return to in times of high stress. I am working hard on the causes of this. Mainly I am a perfectionist who likes to do everything right. That means a change in job taps into my fears. I have had allot of counselling and use mindfulness to help in these situations. I also now run allot which really helps. Although when I am off meds, I like to think that I am anxiety free but unfortunately for me, it is always lurking in the background. There are loads of really useful books to read to really help get underneath the skin of anxiety. Unfortunately in our modern world, it becomes harder and harder to switch off.  This has become my focus now to ensure I get some quality down time away from the stresses and strains of modern day life. Citalopram has been a life saver for me. Believe me I wish I was free of it but in todays society, there is no need to suffer needlessly hence I use the advance in modern medicine to ease the symptoms. Hope this helps
    • Posted

Thank you

I have had some CBT in the past

I know GP'S usually want patients to have some kind of therapy and not just give them medication.

I left my last job

Through anxiety problems..well they paid me to go tbh !

I'm finding the current job is causing my anxiety to come back

Been getting chest pains etc caused by panic attacks . I'm just hoping short term the citalapram helps

Sorry... Im really tired tonight

Best wishes gary

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I have ready a lot on the posts about people going back on.  I started up because I was a fool who was skipping the meds after feeling very good and when I started back up, I did get a lot of the same. Some people get different ones, some the same to different degrees.  I hope for you it isn't too bad but we are here for you.

Jo x 

• Posted

Thanks johmac

I'm sure I will be okay

Going to phone the GP back next

Want to give the medication a bit longer to kick in

Best wishes Gary

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up