Back Pain and Dieting

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been trying recently to lose weight through dieting. I've long since realized with the amount of back pain I have, exercise is not going to be what helps. I can only do a small amount and not enough that it is helpful without the dieting as well. 

The problem hasn't been the dieting. The problem I’m having is will power. 

Eating is my go to when I’m hurting and I’ve recently realized how much I really hurt. Sometimes I guess I’m able to forget. While I’m at work. I work through the day and I hurt constantly but can distract myself by my work. Shortly after it comes flooding back and the first thing i want to do is eat something and release some endorphins. 

Has anyone found that food is a way of coping with pain? I simply have no will power to complete or continue with a Diet when the pain is constant and my need for pain relief is as well. My mind knows that food will cause me some pleasure and a short escape from the pain. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or does anyone have advice. I really have tried and the moment I let my guard down, I’m at the fridge and downing the food without thinking about it. The guilt after is tremendous. 

Am I alone in this? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rick. I also find that whilst eating I cannot be as aware of the pain am in but this is because of the multiple sensory experience of eating (visual, taste, smell, texture and in some cases touch). There is no point in using food as a way to manage the pain because it would involve eating non stop as as soon as one stops eating the pain comes flooding back. I would recommmend using other sensory experiences to try and manage the pain e.g. Diffusing essential oils, listening to music, taking a bath, massage, tens machine etc. 

With regards to losing weight and not being able to exercise fear not - the latest studies are revealing that exercise more, eat less does not result in long term weight loss because exercise releases cortisol and revs up appetite. That doesn't mean don't exercise it just means things like walks, Pilates and yoga are better for weight loss. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

I'll in the same boat. I put on over a 100 pounds in the first 2 years of my injury. Mostly I ate because I was depressed. Then there was the medication I took for depression caused weight gain.

Like you I have no willpower. I love sweets. And now to add insult to injury I got a painful disease that I have to take prednisone for. I think I've gained an additional 20 pound since I've been on prednisone.

I don't think there's any magic to losing weight. I think it just involves a lot of hard work. I know that before I injured my back I was going strong on a weight loss program. I was exercising and journaling my food and had gotten down to my target weight when I injured my back working out.

Hopefully you and I will get it figured it one day. Good luck too you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.