Back pain and no help from doctors

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had back pain for around 6 years now been to loads of GPs and they just didn't believe me as I am in early twenties! Finally around beginning of last year I went to another GP and he help some what, gave me some medication and painkillers, referred me to see someone at hospital. Few months later I went to see a consultant and had a MRI. Two months after that, I had a letter from hospital saying that I have mild Scoliosis and have multilevel degenerative changes in cervical spine. Then was invited to go back, I went back to hospital yesterday and the doctor said that there wasn't anything wrong? But yet that was said in the letter? I asked about the letter and she said that I could of lay funny in MRI and that's why my spine was curved? But I was flat!? You have to be! Nothing said about my discs?? I'm very angry and upset that nothing is being done? It was a different person I seen who sent for my MRI scan, could it be different opinions? I'm in pain all the time and have trouble walking for more than 10 minutes or standing for 5? My life is on hold right now!!! I need help, what should I do next??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would definitely seek a second opinion and ask to speak to the consultant.
    • Posted

Thank you for replying Jane75220. Yeah I think I am going back to my GP and to see if he would refer me to a different consultant at a different hospital.
    • Posted

But is it hard to get a second opinion on the NHS?
  • Posted

My opinion is you need to fine a true back surgeon. One that has good reviews and has very good outcomes.
    • Posted

Yes I agree tonya43425! I'm just sick of it all I'm in pain every single day and for the consultant at my local hospital to not do anything has really upset me. It's because I am only 24 and that she thinks someone my age doesn't need anything doing? I'm going to my GP Monday and ask to be referred to a different hospital. Also is it worth my asking my GP to refer me to a pain clinic?

• Posted

Hi Natasha. I'm 30 and started going to the doctors about my back over 5 years ago. Nothing was done about it until finally they gve in an MRI in August last year. You can request your MRI results for £10 on a CD which I would recommend so you can see it or yourself. I'd also get your GP to refer you to a Pain Clinic. I also can't walk more than 10 minutes or stand for very long at all. I wish you weren't in pain but good to know I'm not the only one x

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words Gabriella44865. Where would I request my MRI results for a CD? As now I think my local hospital is pretty much brushed me to the side! Yes I'm going to 100% ask my GP about a pain clinic. Do you go to a pain clinic? And how does it help you? If you don't mind me asking. X

• Posted

natasha

​Sre u in the UK?

You can apply for a copy of the MRI scan Report but the cd is more useful.

You can take copies and then show it to your new surgeon. You make   a request undr the Access to Medical Records Act to the medico legal department at the hospital  where you had the MRI sscan at.

The hospital will send you an application Form to complete or yyou can doit online.

They  have six weeks under the DPA to produce the cd.

You might ask for all your medical records at the same time. You do no have to give a reason.

CD

• Posted

Hi Natasha. Jane is right - phone the hospital where you had the MRI and they will give you the contact details for the department that will get your results for you. I go to the pain clinic yes. So far he only had a nerve root block treatment from them but I am hoping to get more out of them next time I go. Surgery should always be last resort as it's another trauma to the body and has it's own risks. Also many that have had ops are still not 100% pain free. I can't work either due to the pain. I feel like I'm retired!

• Posted

Jane

Yes I am in the UK.

I think I'm going to request the whole of my medical records to do with me back. And 100% go for the CD of my MRI results.

• Posted

Thank you for your help Gabriella. I will ring the hospital asap then! Hopefully pain clinic helps you some more. I don't want surgery as I know it not 100% guaranteed to even do anything. I don't work either due to constant pain and being drowsy on meds. Do you claim any benefits? If you don't mind me asking.

• Posted

Oh I forgot to tell you. I not able to work due to not being able to stand or walk very long and couldn't do my job and SS is denying me on disability turn after turn due to I'm only 43

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.