Back pain with ibs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi so I’m currently experiencing a flare up of what I believe is IBS.  (I’ve just had a blood test to start ruling out the other stuff).  But during this flare up. I’ve been experiencing lower back pain on both sides. That comes and goes.  Currently worse on the left side today.      I checked my urine with urinalysis sticks this morning and there was no traces of infection. So I can rule out kidney infections I think. And I don’t think I’ve hurt myself. Although it’s hard to say for certain doing the job I do.   My question is, is back pain common with ibs?  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi b30929, my back has worsened over the years through IVF. Pain is common for people with IBS especially down the left hand side, because of how the bowel works. You need to unblock the bowel and the pain should stop.
  • Posted

Back pain is very common with IBS so do not worry!  The lower part of the colon wraps round your lower back and when your colon is in spasm, you may feel pain there.  I have had back pain with IBS which was worse for me because I have a lower back injury.
    • Posted

Thanks I figured that was the case,  but I just haven’t had back pain in previous flare ups. And my back was still hurting even after my stomach had settled a little.   I think each flare up is getting worse.   
    • Posted

All flare ups are different and different symptoms can appear.  I had only one instance of back pain when my IBS started.  Since then, I haven’t had it. IBS can vary a lot.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I figured it was all ibs related.  Just wasn’t sure and didnt wanna google too much as that’s a minefield.  I’m awaiting test results to rule out celiac and ibd anyway. Before I can have the formal ibs diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.