Back to work

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well, I went back to work on Thursday and the kids fitst day was Friday the seventh of august. Anyway both mornings my knee was stiff. I exercised withe the little bike peddler every chance I got. Our class is outside, so after two trips to lunchroa trip to the copier and two trips to office

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I hit a wrong button. Okay contiue Back to workm after two trips to lunchroom, a trip to the copier and two trips to the office. My knee was so painful and I could hardly walk, not to mention I had therapy after work on Friday. When I sat for a while it calmed down. It was horrible and embarrassing; because I had TKR on April 28, 2015 and it is august 8, 2015. I live in the USA in small Georgia city. This knee replacement costed $72,000 yes that right $72,000 and I expecyed better results than thism I am 56 years old, but still hopping and dragging around school is not my idea of success. It might take longer. I am giving it one full week of school and if not better. Off to the Dr. I am going. I haven't had to take pain meds in weeks, but after two days of work ; pain meds welcome back.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problems Janice. If the pain continues go back to the Doctor. You shouldn't be in so much pain now. I have on going issues with mine. Had it done in Feb, couldn't do MUA at end of July due to condition of leg so now waiting to see surgeon to discuss replacing my replacement! I need all my ligaments stripping out apparently too. My leg still hurts and is considerably bent but that is due to my ligaments. If yours is still paining considerably then best to get it checked. You may be right and of just over done it. Go back to elevate and ice along with your exercises. Fingers crossed they help x
    • Posted

Hi Kathryn

So sorry to hear your news.  I thought you would be done and dusted surgically by now.  Starting right back at beginning must be soul destroying.  Please tell us what the surgeon says when you visit him.

I have best part of day at Trafford on Wednesday next week.  Two and a half hours of education in the morning and taking a sheet with all the furniture measurements and bathroom measurements with me.  In the afternoon I have my pre-op so guess op will be end of Oct/early Nov.

Are you at work at present.

Angela

• Posted

Thanks Angela. It really hit me hard. The worst part is that I know the next op will be even more complicated. I'm dealing with it a bit better now though. I've had my stitches removed and I see the consultant next week to discuss the next step. I'm hoping that he says it can wait until next year now so I can go on holiday. Although I have to be honest and say my leg has gotten worse this week and started to look like it used too prior to the TKR. I'll see what he says anyway. I would love it to be done asap but my private healthcare doesn't cover it so I'm NHS all the way.

Glad things moving forward with yours.

Keep us posted xx

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Glad to hear that you're feeling a bit better about it now.  It's a bit of a bummer that your private healthcare won't cover it though.

I know what you mean about your knee feeling worse.  I had physio last Thurs and she was massaging the back of the leg and then trying to bend my knee.  Since then, I've been having a lot of pain when I first get up,out of the chair.  Something is definitely rubbing and jarring now, so I think that I'll go for any more physio until after my Op on the 25/9 now, and maybe let it calm down a bit!

I hope that you manage to take a holiday, but that you have a plan in place for your next procedure by then.

Take care.

Patsy

• Posted

Meant to say DON'T think that I'll go for any more physio...
    • Posted

Thanks Patsy. I've thrown myself into work this week to get on with things. I've been promoted so that side of my life is going really well. Only thing is I've slacked off on my normal exercises so when I've woken this morning, it's swollen, calf is tight and I can't move very well. Luckily I'm working from home today so will have to get back to my exercises.

I would do exactly the same as you regarding physio. You know enough of the exercises to keep your leg moving, I would stick to them. You don't want to make it worse xx

• Posted

Hi Janice

Sorry to hear that you had a rough return to work.

I understand exactly how you feel, as my knee was done last Sept, manipulated in March and know getting more and more bent and painful.  I'm going back into hospital 25/9.

I don't think that people realise what a horrible operation this is, and how awful the recovery can be.

Would you be able to do a phased return?  I think that too much sitting ultimately caused the problems with both of my TKRs, so I am going to think a lot more before I return to work after my next lot of sick leave.

make sure that you rest, ice, hydrate and medicate...but also go and see your doctor if you are worried.

hope it gets better for you soon,

Patsy

• Posted

Almost ready to take another leave of absence if this continue. Only can't afford to take anymore days. My knee or leg is still not straight and that is the problem I think. I feel so exhausted. Doctor and PT says I have to build up stamin. If that is case. He shouldn't said I was okay to return to work. I am almost in tears everyday because , I took time off for the very reason. Unable to barely walk and hurting all day everyday. I will never do this again and it costed me $72,000 for the surgery. P*ssed off to the tenth power.
    • Posted

Oh Janice I feel your pain and frustration. Although I'm in the UK and had mine done on the NHS (my private healthcare doesn't cover my knee and although I contemplated self funding, mine is so complicated that I was warned the price would be huge...I'm glad I listened as I'm now facing a complete revision and all ligaments stripping out. The NHS may not be perfect but I know I'm lucky to have access to it otherwise I'd be re-mortgaging to cover).

I am back at work but lucky enough to be able to work from home some days until I'm fixed (today is one of those days). I have done 3 full office days this week, boy am I paying for it. My leg already only goes from -30 to 85 degrees anyway but it's a lot less than that today. I've had to use my crutches again to help me walk. Unfortunately though I can't afford time off work either. I've used most of my annual leave up and I don't get paid if off sick. We can claim some sick pay from the government but it won't cover my bills. I don't think Doctors etc realise the added stress that goes with this surgery.

I know you can't afford the time off but speak to your employer. Even if you could shorten your hours a little over the coming weeks so you can spend more time resting, icing etc. All of our situations are different so this may not be an option for you. My working from home and changing my hours has led to a promotion. My boss thinks my knee is the best thing to happen to our company as I've been able to take a step back and work on things I wouldn't of otherwise got chance to do.

I worry that you're going to push yourself too far. See what can be changed to help you xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I had my TKR a day before you on the 27th and was doing just fine til a couple of weeks ago. I developed a pain in my knee and down the back of my calf, especially when I walk. Still have problems going down the stairs as the pain is a killer. Going back up is a piece of cake. I'm back on pain meds because of the knee and calf pain. If it doesn't clear up in the next few days, it's a call to the doctor to see if this is all part of a TKR or what. I know this type if surgery is a killer and takes a LONG time to get better but...  Also I thought what my surgery cost was bad at $56,000 but yours takes the cake... I'm in a small city in NW Pennsylvania.... At least I'm retired and don't have to worry about work. Here's to better days ahead for both of us!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.