Back to work

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 8 weeks and 3 days post LTHR (posterior), and I'm off to work tomorrow. Mixed feelings as, although I will be phased I still feel it is going to be hard. I have not done many of the things I intended, have not read all my new books and spent lots of time on my own after the initial post op period. This forum that has kept me sane and I have greatly enjoyed dipping in daily! Although I still have a way to go, I feel so much better to be out of constant pain and feel I can get on and enjoy much more. I shall be spreading the 'Hippie' message that there is no point in suffering and if a dodgy joint needs to go, it's best just to do it!

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good but take it easy and don't get pressurised into doing things too soon ! 🏨

• Posted

Jools,

You have been prepared for your phased return to work with all the physio.

Now the rest of your life post hip pain begins, go live it to the full.

Best wishes,

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham,

?I was so bad before, and struggling so much anything I did was really hard. How I even managed to walk and do anything useful is now beyond me. But at the time I couldn't get over being too young, therefore not ready to have surgery. Now I know different and so wish I hadn't forced myself to wait when first offered. I know I'm going to do so much better physically. It's stunning lol

• Posted

If you sit at a desk, take a pillow to sit on and take walks every 20 minutes, but it sounds like your doing good. I am 12 weeks but with major swelling early and drs told me I am more like 8 weeks, but I have been working at my company as much as I can. My thi really burns at end of day, and I get muscle spasms around 3 in morning that wake me up. Take care!
  • Posted

I am wondering what precautions others take when returning to work.  How often do you need to get up and walk.  I am almost 6 months out from surgery and got acalled to jury duty.  I am worried about having to sit all day.  Right now I get up and walk every hour to prevent getting sore and stiff.
    • Posted

I have already sent in a doctors note, which excused me for 6 months.  I think I may need to bring in another note asking them to accommodate need to walk every hour.  I guess I can ask my doctor, I am just trying to figure out if this is normal after 6 months of recovery
    • Posted

If you get another note they will excuse you full stop. I used to work in Crown Courts so know they wont want case disturbed every hour. Hope you get it sorted.
  • Posted

I'm supposed to go back after 6 weeks but I'm going to make it part time for the first two weeks and then holidays come and will  luckily have more time off. Let us know how it goes.. good luck! Keep us posted.  I want to go back but it's scary!

• Posted

Thanks Caren,

?I was keen to see my work 'family' as I have been getting very bored in the last 2 weeks, although not enough to do online training! I think the practicalities of starting in a phased return are actually quite awkward. And today is only day 1. Within minutes of 'finding' me a room to use with no light- ahem - good start, the chair immediately gave me grief! I couldn't sit anywhere comfortably, but on the plus side I've done lots of steps today, so the dog is going out with my son! But we will see how it goes, and I will keep you posted wink

• Posted

Jools ken it easy. I went back at sameness stage as you. Boss said work what hours you want and I will pay you for those. I did Six hours the first two days and then did my 8 hours the other two days. It was hard and I wished I had done less. You get stiff very quickly. So I kept doing my exercises. I was also exhausted. 
    • Posted

Hi Auntiebeanie,

?Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my hours have been set by the Occupational Health Nurse, who was pushing to get me back at 6 weeks. I'm so glad I had another 2 weeks sick however. Today was hard, and I know already that I'm much more tired. We'll see what happens, it is subject to how I get on. As long as I am truthful to myself hopefully it will all work out lol

• Posted

Hi I am exactly at the same point as yourself 8 weeks post op after right hip replacement and I started back on Monday on a very slow phased return. I’m lucky that I work for a gp surgery so they are very understanding but I also have the drive down the motorway 25 mins each way so that’s another challenge. I have my second day back tomorrow and also apprehensive and still getting deep aches and my scar is hurting a little but I guess we have all been through a lot and it’s all healing. I also had great plans of reading books and catching up on tv box sets which I didn’t do. Oh well back to work. Good luck with your phased return to work 

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

?You are doing well to drive for those times, especially with RTHR. I only go 3 miles! I'm not sure my colleagues, or even manager quite got that I'm not able to do everything yet. An example was piles of notes in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet that I needed. I was too embarrassed to ask someone to reach them as I couldn't, so struggled one pack at a time with the golfer's bend, which is not exactly easy (or flattering) in a small space. As for the chair.......rolleyes? Luckily I won't be dealing with patients in the physical sense for the phased period though. Things will get better though, I'm sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.