Back to work at 6 months and suffering!

Posted , 6 users are following.

6 months post TKR. Complications femoral nerve damage and quad palsy.

Finally on cane since month 5. Just started new 9-5 job but lots of walking. Swelling and pain severe starting around mid day. Will my leg adjust? I cannot afford to lose this job!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know were your coming from I'm 4 months post op and I'm suffering but more from stiffness feels like I've got my knee in a metal vice by the afternoon I'm swelled and in a lot of pain. Meds don't help but suppose I'm lucky because I retired last September. What is quad palsey ? Haven't heard of that.

• Posted

Milla I'm so sorry to hear that you are having so much pain and swelling. You may need to cut back on the walking if at all possible. Can your doctor ask that you be given accommodations at work? I don't know how that works in the UK, but most docs here in the USA can provide employer with a note asking for accommodation for post surgical need. Is there any other work you could do at this new job that doesn't require so much walking? I am only 5 and a half weeks post TKR and will be going back to a desk job at 3 months. Part time for a couple weeks at first. I couldn't imagine going to a job where I'd be walking alot, although sitting for 10 hours is not going to be any fun either. Are you icing as soon as you get home? Can you ice at lunch break? I'm sure there will be more suggestions and ideas from others soon. 

• Posted

Hi Milla. If you need the job you must do whatever it takes to elevate leg during your breaks and drink plenty of water. Anti-inflammatory might help. Seek further advice from medico.x
  • Posted

Hi Milla,

Not been on here for a while good to see you have preogressed after all of your  problems.

I am circa  7 months post TKR  went back at j4 months have a job involving a lot of walking. I rememebr posting on her at 2 weeks  thinking I wouldn cope as felt soo tired mentally and my knee blooned and was very hot which my Doc said is normal even up to 12/12s post. 

Take pain meds and carry on icing and elevating when you get in. I found it got easier after about 6 week back so hope it does for but still swells some days.

Once I mentally adjusted to work (felt  overloaded at first) I think it coped with it all better and it was kind of good to get back and use the old brain again!

Hang in there girl rememeber the initial post op phase. keep us posted

Best wishes

Jan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.